Flight Simulators a disappointment

Reaction score
I have had F S's way back to window s 98 and had very little difficulty up to XP, with most running OK but since changing to windows 10. FS 2004 (one of the best for addons etc ) installs but fail to load , the earlier 2002 ( which incorporated 2000 ) worked OK until more recent Windows updates but now will install and run but after closing it self deletes assuming it installed correctly in the first place but now you have to re install every time.
The original Combat Europe worked up to XP now sadly won't work , (out of date but still good,) the number 3 version loads but does not work very well
FX is also a disaster and after numerous attempts fails ot install correctly. ( and I am on automatic Windows uodates and have paid versions of Malwarebytes, Speedmax and Bullguard protection ), and think the computer is clean . Now I have given up on all M S simukator games and I am now using the STEAM version of FX which runs without problems.

I something has appeared in FX that I had not noticed before because I usually start on an active runway , but if starting at a stand at Heathrow when I start pushback a tug drives up to and under the aircraft and pushes it back, I don't think that is in the original M S version but whatever it's a nice addition.

But it is a great pity that these "experts" at M S either don't ever check thier programs to see if they still work when an update is forced on to us or perhaps they consider we should all be up to date and have the latest versions of all their games or perhaps they just don't care..
But it seems there is nothing new in he pipeline in F S's as far as M S is concerned which is a great disappointment

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, MS seem to have given up on Flight Simulators, which is a great shame. It's been 11 years since their last version.

Have you tried XPlane before? It's regularly updated and gets good reviews, I think you can also get it on Steam:

http://www.x-plane.com/

Reaction score
I understood Microsoft sold the FS program to a third party....?

I haven't been running an FS program in a while, but the versions for earlier OSes were getting better. Then I suppose, the focus shifted to multi-player formats.

Reaction score
I am also a huge FS user. I have used all of the MS ones back to the first one. I also had the Sublogic Flight Sim if anyone remembers that one. I have a dedicated Win XP drive in my computer just for FS9. I have too many add ons to transfer everything to Win 10 just to have MS mess things up.
I believe MS sold the franchise to Dove Tail Games. Dove Tail actually has a new version on Steam called Flight Sim World that is based on FSX. I tried FS 10 when it came out but I prefer FS9 with all of my add ons.

Reaction score
Ok I know this is an old topic however this is what I recommend.
You obviously have a capable computer since you are using Windows 10.

Go on eBay and sort through all of the posted Flight Simulator X listings and find one for under $10.00 and they are available if you are willing to search.

I'm a cheap bastard and willing to search. :D

Make sure they come with Disc 1 and Disc 2 and a product key code.

I have never had any activation problems with any product key codes for FSX if you wait several months before you reinstall or install onto another computer.

If you should run into an activation problem just activate via the telephone electronic menu and Microsoft will activate it.

If asked how many computers this has been installed on the correct answer is ONE.

I promise you that the software police will not come and arrest you or I would already be in the software penitentiary.

PoorGuy :cool:

Ask a Question