SOLVED Folders stopped opening on mouse left click, only open on right click > open

Reaction score
:( Hello everyone, trust you all Ok?
I have a bemusing little problem (no one is perfect,L.o.l)

When I first installed this wonder of Microsoft's gallop to fame (Windows 10), having used a computer for some 20 years or more (ie; from Win 98) I found quite a number of differences to good old Windows 7, which gave me next to nothing in problems in any respect and I was always able to find a solution to most.

In Win 10 when first installed, I could left click with the mouse on any folder/document, and it would open, just as it used to do in previous versions of Windows systems. Now it has ceased to do just that and it is necessary to right click and "open" to gain access.

Anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

Grateful for any help.

Reaction score
Try Settings >Mouse and Touchpad > Mouse " Select your primary button.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Tried a different mouse, however, problem still there.
Tried a clean Boot. No difference.

Reaction score
1.Open Control Panel > File Explorer Options, you will see 3 tabs, General, View and Search; try resetting to default options see if that makes any difference.
2. You could also check Mouse Properties, Control Panel > Mouse > General > Double Click Mouse Speed, if the double click speed is set to fast you will never be able to open folders, set it for around 40-50%

Reaction score
Re-set mouse to default as requested (double click etc)
Mouse setting was high,therefore, lowered to approx 30%.
NO Change.
I have noticed however that whilst left clicking on a folder to open it, though that is not working, for a split milli second there vaguely appears to flash an indiscernible box on screen,to fast to read anything, as though the file/folder operation has been taken over by something else.

Reaction score
Before you make any drastic decisions (Reset - Reinstall) I would try creating a new local user account to see if the problem still exists.

Reaction score
;) I have made a drastic decision, I should have stayed with good old Windows 7; Lol.

Seriously, I have just operated a backup and reinstalled said backup which was made on 16th of last month.

It worked, problem solved. However, wish that I could have tracked the problem down, if for no other reason than to have isolated it's source in case any other member came up with the same problem and we would have the solution too hand.

Personally, I think it could have been another program that I had put on which is no longer there.

Nevertheless,I am most grateful to you all gentlemen for your concern and excellent assistance.

If I may assist you in any way, I certainly will.
Many thanks.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seriously, I have just operated a backup and reinstalled said backup which was made on 16th of last month.
It worked, problem solved.
All's well that ends well I suppose.
It's generally very rare that someone experiences keyboard and or mouse issues, as Windows 10 generally provides generic drivers which, while not perhaps supporting full functionality for some input devices, will normally be sufficient to provide basic functions.

Since it was never explicitly discussed.... is there anything unique about your particular mouse or mice, as in....
Are they wireless, does the wireless dongle need manufacturer's drivers to provide full feature support?
OR
Is it a high end gamer type mouse which also may require drivers from the manufacturer to allow it to function fully?
wish that I could have tracked the problem down
That would have been nice, but.....
Any port in a storm... when things don't work, whatever it takes to get them working again is acceptable.

Reaction score
The problem was a Lancashire Lass. LOL
Norton
Expat from Rochdale, The internet puts the world as we know it in a petri dish.

Reaction score
L o l The mouse is a gaming mouse, Logitech G500s. Not had any previous prob's with it.
It's wired version, plug and play.

Lancashire lass, (l o l) at 74 I would be safer with a cup of tea.

Reaction score
Downloaded both, however, software flash appears only one applicable.

Many thanks.

Ask a Question