Font Name List Problem

Reaction score
hi, I am using win10 64bit.

I installed some Chinese .ttf font into the system, however, there is no Chinese font name in notepad/wordpad font selections ( actually, there is no Chinese name in notepad, and there are 宋体 & 新宋体 only in wordpad ), the font names are always in English.

I changed the default language and region in control panel to China, but the problem still exists.

I checked registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts, there are Chinese font names.

If the system is an earlier version such as winxp/win7 etc., this problem never took place.

Is there any setting should I change?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may be to do with the encoding in Notepad. Can you save a test file in notepad, but save it as as "Unicode" file, rather than ANSI. Are you able to choose a Chinese font then?

Capture.PNG

Notepad is the most basic of text editors, so it may have problems with Chinese fonts if it's a Western language install.

I'm guessing more advanced editors like Word are ok?

Reaction score
It may be to do with the encoding in Notepad. Can you save a test file in notepad, but save it as as "Unicode" file, rather than ANSI. Are you able to choose a Chinese font then?

View attachment 4709

Notepad is the most basic of text editors, so it may have problems with Chinese fonts if it's a Western language install.

I'm guessing more advanced editors like Word are ok?

thanks for your reply.

the trail version of msword in win10 is expired now, I can not check.

with detail investigation, I found that I made some mistakes.
these Chinese font name can not be shown in notepad( in win7) either.

so, I need to compare wordpad.exe.

In wordpad( win7 ), Chinese font name can be shown in font selection combobox; and in wordpad( win10), they can not be shown.

I mean, these Chinese fonts can be selected by English names only in combobox, but their Chinese names are missing. Obviously, it is not related to any file format(unicode/non-unicode).

Is there any advices?

Ask a Question