Forgot local password

Reaction score
I forgot my password to my HP laptop. How do I get into command prompt on boot without a password?

Reaction score
So here is what I meant. get a repair disk boot to it and select advanced options and you can get to command prompt besides don't you have security questions I don't think you can set password without security questions. So try this. Boot to your hard drive like you normally would and try to login until you have the option to reset password then answer questions. I will give no more info until you can give me evidence that you are legit user (no offence) I just need to be sure you are real user not hacker, passwords are risky business.

Reaction score
If you could please provide some sort of info so I can determine you are real, such as whether you are administrator or are you guest or local do you have a second account on it or Microsoft account.

Reaction score
What information should I give you? This computer was given to me temporarily because they couldn't remember the password on the main account which is local, no Microsoft accounts, Just one person used this computer.

Reaction score
If you could please provide some sort of info so I can determine you are real, such as whether you are administrator or are you guest or local do you have a second account on it or Microsoft account.
What information should I give?

Reaction score
Is this for a business or a school?
So your computer is in the shop?
Alright i will give you info on changing password but i willget you access to a user first.
So you will need arepair disk. So get a repair disk boot to it and go to advanced options then go to powershell. If you can access power shell without drive than great all you need is access topowershell.

Reaction score
Alright so once you have access to power shell type the exact following: New-LocalUser -Name "passwd_recovery" -Description "temporary user for paswd recovery." -NoPassword
Then type the exact following: Add-LocalGroupMember -Group "Administrators" -Member "passwd_recovery"

Reaction score
What those commands do is create administrative account with no password which allows you to change password for original account.:):)

Reaction score
Is this for a business or a school?
So your computer is in the shop?
Alright i will give you info on changing password but i willget you access to a user first.
So you will need arepair disk. So get a repair disk boot to it and go to advanced options then go to powershell. If you can access power shell without drive than great all you need is access topowershell.
My computer is not in the shop, neither for a business or a school.

Ask a Question