W10 forgotten local password

Reaction score
Having just recovered my system after some disastrous problems, I learned a hard-won lesson.

When recovering or repairing W10 systems, there are times when you are expected to provide the login and password for the damaged system. This poses a significant difficulty to those who login on the internet, using an email address and password. These are no use in the recovery environment, only a local administrator will do.

So, to anyone who, like me, logs in with email address and password, I advise creating another user with administrator rights and a local login. I now have (e-mail address removed) as username, a four-digit short key for a password, I have ADMIN as another username with a local password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Maybe not available for all, possibly, but if you are , originally, logged in with an ms account, my first option is to grab another computer and get the password ( and username, if required), through the simple change provedure in your ms/internet profile

Reaction score
I think I follow your meaning, but you cannot change the LOCAL password for machine A from machine B. You can only change your Microsoft account password.

If you are performing a repair on a defective (cannot login) system, you may reach the point where you need to login LOCALLY.

I had a local password before I switched to using Ms account login. Recently, I had a problem with my internet connectivity and this situation occurred, at that time I was able to login only when internet connectivity resumed. I didn't learn my lesson then and a couple of days ago voting a situation which could only be resolved by a repair and hit the problem again. Hence my original post.

Reaction score
Having just recovered my system after some disastrous problems, I learned a hard-won lesson.

When recovering or repairing W10 systems, there are times when you are expected to provide the login and password for the damaged system. This poses a significant difficulty to those who login on the internet, using an email address and password. These are no use in the recovery environment, only a local administrator will do.

So, to anyone who, like me, logs in with email address and password, I advise creating another user with administrator rights and a local login. I now have (e-mail address removed) as username, a four-digit short key for a password, I have ADMIN as another username with a local password.

Reaction score
The easy solution is to keep passwords (adequately identified) on a securely stored memory stick. I refer to mine fairly often and have never had a problem.

Moc

Reaction score
Many people sign-in with a PIN and forget the password. That's a problem

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops and a desktop, the wife has a laptop and a desktop. We used to use our MS outlook login but have changed to a pin now. I use a 3rd party backup software (Nova Backup) on all systems. I have a couple of systems crater on me from time to time and have had to restore from the latest image backup then weekly and daily. I have NEVER had a problem with passwords both before changing to the pin or after. I have a flash drive that I keep ALL my password on but have never run into a problem on any computer related to a password after a restore.

Reaction score
The easy solution is to keep passwords (adequately identified) on a securely stored memory stick. I refer to mine fairly often and have never had a problem.

Now that's a good idea! I keep a HDD with all of my logins in the cabinet, but if you can't login, you can't get to another login.

Another thing I've done is to keep a small capacity HDD somewhere so that I can plug it in if I need to reinstall the OS, or even if I have to rebuild the system. Point is: Keep logins somewhere handy. Never know when you might need 'em....

Reaction score
My favourite password solution is Password Safe. It stores all your passwords in a password-protected encrypted file. It can be run from a USB so you can take it with you. Apps that use the same database (but not as much functionality) are available for Android, OSX and iOS.

Under Windows, you can log in to most sites with just 2 clicks: one to bring up the login page, the other to enter username and passwords (OK, you need to Alt-Tab between browser and PWsafe). It has enough flexibility to handle sites like Gmail, which require Enter and a delay after the username. It also lets you store additional details as notes. For example, you can save the answers to secret questions, bank account numbers, etc. It will also generate strong passwords for you, with selectable rules (the default policy uses characters that are not accepted by some sites). It hides itself after use, and automatically locks after a selectable time.

And, best of all, it's free.

Just make sure the master password is a) very strong and b) easy to remember. I use a multi-language phrase, with some symbols as part of the text.

Reaction score
From what I have read new installation ISO images do not even offer the possibility of local login. Personally I have logging in through MS account. What happens if I don't have local login and the internet is on the blink ?

Reaction score
From what I have read new installation ISO images do not even offer the possibility of local login. Personally I have logging in through MS account. What happens if I don't have local login and the internet is on the blink ?
You can still setup a local account if you disconnect from the internet before installing.

Reaction score
Exactly my point. These other posts suggest useful ways of covering the point, but I really think a separate local admin account is the simplest.

I have a usb stick with the W10 recovery password on it, but it is no use for a system using internet login.

Reaction score

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I still have a functioning HP iPAQ PDA from 2004 and have recently been able to purchase an identical model as a back-up. These have a strong access password capability and so, as a separate device, no longer connectable (old technology) to the Internet, I have all of my current and old login details in one secure place. Since it is more pocketable than a smart phone, it goes everywhere with me, as an address book and password reminder. It is tough and uses a stylus rather than a fat, oily finger.
I long for some manufacturer to clone / re-establish this product.

Reaction score
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I still have a functioning HP iPAQ PDA from 2004 and have recently been able to purchase an identical model as a back-up. These have a strong access password capability and so, as a separate device, no longer connectable (old technology) to the Internet, I have all of my current and old login details in one secure place. Since it is more pocketable than a smart phone, it goes everywhere with me, as an address book and password reminder. It is tough and uses a stylus rather than a fat, oily finger.
I long for some manufacturer to clone / re-establish this product.
I am an old time Casio Cassiopeia PDA fan. It had MS Office, email, plug in camera, plug in dial up internet, CF card reader slot, OCR for hand written memos, stylus operated touch screen, you name it. In fact I believe Compaq iPAQ also came out with a GSM phone built on the Win CE OS. It was pricey but very highly capable and functional phone. Far better than absolutely anything else on the market. Unfortunately USA had great aversion to anything coming out of Europe AND the CDMA patent holders had too much of a stranglehold over US mobile telephone operators for the GSM device to succeed. Had HP concentrated OUTSIDE the OS iPhone would have been still born.

Reaction score
I have a usb stick with the W10 recovery password on it, but it is no use for a system using internet login.

That's why I have the Password Safe app and database on my phone. I can always access my passwords, no matter where I am.

Reaction score
That's why I have the Password Safe app and database on my phone. I can always access my passwords, no matter where I am.
I am shaking my head in disbelief. Only hdhondt has mentioned a password manager that can live on another device - like a phone! I don't think that keeping your passwords on an external drive is very helpful - what happens if the drive is damaged? And isn't it cumbersome to have to fetch that drive when you need a password? A password manager that stores data in the cloud or on another device could take care of lost local passwords.

I use LastPass. It generates random passwords for new accounts and can fill in logins when I go to a website where I already have an account. And I can also store personal computer passwords in it. The LastPass database is encrypted locally and stored in the cloud, so you can get to it from any web browser - but you need to know your own master password and would be wise to setup 2-factor authentication.

And an HP iPAQ from 2004 hardly seems like a dependable solution and certainly not universally available!

Reaction score
Let me say more about LastPass. I pay $12 per year and am able to use it on any computer and any phone device. The free version is more restricted. When I am forced to create a new account for a website, LastPass jumps up and offers to generate a random password and then stores it for me. When I login to a website where I have an account, LastPass jumps up and offers to fill in name and password. It works on at least 90% of web sites from a computer, but is not as successful on an phone. When it doesn't work you have to open the app, find the account and copy/paste the password.
I can also store passwords for personal computers. I can also store personal info such as bank accounts, insurance, medical.
LastPass stores an encrypted "blob" on their servers. I could give that blob to anyone and they would not be able to decrypt it. I think it is possible to keep a local copy of that blob.
Here is an article about best password managers in 2019. Your personal Excel spreadsheet is not one of those :rolleyes:

Ask a Question