SOLVED W10 Backup Failure

Reaction score
After a scheduled backup, using the old W7 Back and Restore from the control panel, I got a message stating "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." And sure enough, the backup failed. Had this same problem a few weeks back and found an article from a google search that I used and got the backup to run as planned. Trouble is, I didn't write down the steps and now cannot find the article on google search again. Anyone else had this backup message after a backup attempt?

Reaction score
Can we assume you are referring to a File Backup process? Have you checked the files you are backing up and excluded any folders/files which might be in use?

If having problems, you do have the options of removing specific folders from the backup in order to track down the folder/file involved.

I have seen messages about a file being in use if I have explorer open and looking at the file..

No log entries or Event Viewer info?

Ask a Question