Forum Traffic

Reaction score
The question of stimulating traffic is a thorny one, and has been raised in threads before on Windows 8.

Whilst it is definitely in the interest of any forum, it can also depend on where you want the emphasis.

For example, one of the most prolific windows 9 forums on the web had this to offer today, after my final visit before bedtime:

ovee-png.8

This is certainly a way to attract interest to the forum, but do the Admin and moderators here, really wish to see the content diluted like this.
FWIW. The sister forums , Win 8 etc, have , to a large extent, a majority of daily postings of similar content, although I cannot deny that the input on essential matters is top class.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I did wonder the same thing myself as it does get activity - but it's fake activity if that makes sense. I'm not hugely keen on having more off-topic then on-topic content. As soon as Windows 9 is in a state where we can start playing with it, I'm going to work on adding articles which should generate some more search engine traffic than we're seeing at the moment. :)

Reaction score
Good. I am in agreement. The forum mentioned (you obviously know which one) has historically created a mass of traffic, through XP and 7. I have been a strong posting member since then. Being a total forum freak, I do find it interesting to roam through the topics, on or off subject, but I would like to see a dedicated forum for the future OS, which, hopefully, this will remain as.
Coming back to the essence. It is not my intention to criticise other forums, they all have their ways and means. I get enjoyment from all. Just making a point about the future of this particular one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just wanted to add. Another factor to consider in this context.

I guess, with all that daily traffic, it can be fun just browsing and chatting on the forum. In fact, a thread started yesterday with just that in mind.
But, there is another downside for those who prefer to stick to the nitty gritty and just be kept informed. I find, in the companion windows 8 site there, that after the usual 7 or 8 hours lapse during the night, opening the thread shows , normally, about 3 to 4 new pages (not threads or posts, but pages). However much time nerds like me have on there hands, I like to move on a bit and find that I have a look down the first page and ignore the rest - possibly to my loss.

Reaction score
It has to be a delicate balance. Some forums are so fast-moving that a New Posts Display can be 4-5 pages deep in hour. Eventually, I assume, folks stop looking at Everything and just focus on a few Sub Forums. If that still counts as 'traffic' then the site wins anyway but if they have links into certain sub-forums, then... cough cough... I think those sites suffer from such a high volume with a preponderance of UnHelpful Types it's no longer attractive to any in-depth reader.

I'm sure we'll have fun with this Win 10 "name" for a while. I've got a couple of machines cleared off, waiting for more 'fun' with the trials. (I'll make sure to move them away from the trapdoors, too... hmmm... or should I?!! hmmm)

Ask a Question