Free???

Reaction score
W10 home is free as an update for machines which have a legal, activated copy of W7 SP1 or W8.1 running. This offer is time limited until July 2016.
What happens after than only MS know for sure but as you can imagine the conspiracy theorists are inventing all kinds of scenarios...as they do for anything!

Reaction score
Free? Yes. But, you have already paid for its predecessor. (Windows 8 or 7)

Reaction score
And your point is? I betcha that 90% of home users got their OS with a new machine and that price was embedded in the machine price. If one goes to a store and buys W10 it is about $120 US or $199 US for the Pro version.

Reaction score
? No point intended. Just a conversational observation in reply to the OP.

Reaction score
W10 home is free as an update for machines which have a legal, activated copy of W7 SP1 or W8.1 running.
Not strictly true as i have proved with a W 7 machine.
But i did read somewhere that MS were still giving the upgrade to pirated ones as well.
To be honest i think they will do all they can to get everyone over to W 10 ;)

Reaction score
Somewhere, I read that MS will keep all upgrades free for the first five years.
The talk behind the scenes is that they will probably be giving it away as upgrade to 7 and 8.1 indefinitely (not official of course). Microsoft is way off their goal a billion devices running Windows 10 in the first year. Plus they really want that telemetry. And to get that, they need as many people running 10 as possible.

Ask a Question