From camera to computer how to upload to Photo Gallery instead of.....

Reaction score
You are correct. I think it "retired, more than 2 years ago.
But, as I read through the threads, I see that the OP is using a 5 year old computer which came with bundled software. - I am assuming the owner took advantage of the free upgrade and it left a good deal of superfluous software on the computer, with which she is unfamiliar.

Reaction score
TO Dave: "If you were comfortable with The photo gallery, part of essentials, you can still download essentials Here:
http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe "

"As with the other software mentioned, it will download to your C:\Download folder.
You then click it and select customize. You can then select only the hHoto gallery, which will be installed."

Sorry I don't see the "quotes". As I mentioned earlier I do have the Win. Photo Gallery installed and the icon in my task bar, so I didn't download it...unless you think it would help to make sure it will function?

As to the http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/ I clicked the blue link to download but nothing happened, it just showed a list of prices, etc. I tried several times and it was the same. Since you said you tried it and it was good I'll shut off the computer and will try tomorrow morning again.

I wonder, if I have the Photo Gallery installed, do I still need to use the xnview.com? Or perhaps the latter acts as the Photo Gallery? Please forgive my ignorance....and thanks for all your time to help me. :)

Reaction score
You are correct. I think it "retired, more than 2 years ago.
But, as I read through the threads, I see that the OP is using a 5 year old computer which came with bundled software. - I am assuming the owner took advantage of the free upgrade and it left a good deal of superfluous software on the computer, with which she is unfamiliar.

Hi again Dave, actually MS put into my computer their Beta Win. 10 with which I had to put up with an "unfinished" software. I don't recall my requesting it and my 2 friends also got it without requesting it. As to my "superfluous software on the computer", which do you think they are and could I delete them without altering other functions you think? Thank you.

Reaction score
Click the blue "download" box. It will download the executive program to your "downloads" folder. You then click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install.
And, incidentally, it is not Photoview but Xnview, a better program

But, going back a little in the thread. Did you actually download and install the photo gallery from within Essentials?

I think I forgot to tell you... I'm sorry I'll continue answering tomorrow as I'm getting this annoying "Script" thing and it takes minutes to type each letter.... :)

Reaction score
Going back to your first post/query!

Right click any phot and scroll down to "open with"
Select Photo gallery and also mark the square which says "Always open with this program"

When The free upgrade came along, it made a fresh install of Windows 10, but, in many cases, although it left your personal data intact, it did not complete the process of making sure all of you existing software from the previous OS was working, or was even compatible.
I cannot help with what can, or should, be removed. You need to get help from someone local who can sit at your computer and clean up a few bits and pieces.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Going back to your first post/query!
Right click any phot and scroll down to "open with"
Select Photo gallery and also mark the square which says "Always open with this program"

Oh okay, I have new photos in my camera, so I'll transfer them into my computer (which will land in Photo App), then I'll click on one of those photos and then click on Photo Gallery? Well, I tried it on one of the photos already in Photo App and the only drop down menu was: "Share; Add to Album; Slide Show; Copy; and Delete. I'm sorry, did I misunderstand your instructions?

Thanks also for explaining about the installation of my Win10, I understand now. And i think i know some of the files I can get rid of myself. :)

Reaction score
Sorry Grizzly i forgot to answer your post - Yes i saw the attachment, thanx. You say "I saw in your picture that you have the MSN messenger running." ...I don't think I have the messenger program but can't tell for sure...that's how tech-ignorant I am.... lol!

Reaction score
"Oh okay, I have new photos in my camera, so I'll transfer them into my computer (which will land in Photo App), then I'll click on one of those photos and then click on Photo Gallery? Well, I tried it on one of the photos already in Photo App and the only drop down menu was: "Share; Add to Album; Slide Show; Copy; and Delete. I'm sorry, did I misunderstand your instructions?"
Not misunderstand, but didn't, I think, follow. Did you do the first, essential part as I suggested in my post #2?
(Right click the start orb and , from the list, select the Control panel.
Select the "Default programs". Then "Set your default programs"
Scroll down and find the photo gallery, and make iy the default.. Save and exit.)

Your default is obviously still on the photo App!
Quote "computer (which will land in Photo App),"
They land, where you choose to put them. But, unless you change the default as instructed, they will still open with the phot App.
Quite frankly, no rudeness, but, with your low knowledge of the ins and outs of computer operations, it is difficult to ascertain exactly which advice or operations you are missing.
As I said before, I honestly think you should ask a local friend to work beside you and guide you through the necessary operations..

Reaction score
"Right click the start orb and , from the list, select the Control panel.
Select the "Default programs". Then "Set your default programs"
Scroll down and find the photo gallery, and make iy the default.. Save and exit.)
"

Yes, Dave, I did the above and did tell you that I didn't see there in Default the Windows Photo Gallery.

It's okay don't worry, I know I am a dummy, and will take care of this on my own. Thanks a lot for all the help and time spent on me. :)

Ask a Question