Fully Revert Domain Account to Worgroup

Reaction score
Hi,

Had a Windows 8 PC that was temporarily part of a domain, then reverted back to being part of a Workgroup, however for some reason the PC logon never reverted back so the user always has to type their full Email in addition to password etc.

In upgrading to Windows 10 I had kinda hoped, somewhat naively, that the logon issue would be resolved and revert to presenting the list of Icons/Logins for the PC on the lock screen so that you can just click the right user and then enter the password. Obviously that didn't work.

Does anyone know of a way for full revert a Domain Login to a Workgroup Login and fix the login page once and for all?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The first thing that I would do is create a new user.
Windows Key + R and type
lusrmgr.msc
double click "users", right click a blank area and select new user
give it a name and a password
uncheck user must change password
check password never expires.
Once created double click that new user and use the "member of" tab to add him to the local administrators group.
Log off and log on as the new user to insure that the account is viable and has no problems perform administrative tasks (like launch an admin command prompt).
Then just go back in to
lusrmgr.msc
Right click the problem account and and choose "set password"
you can change it to something more conventional as long as it is
A. Not a Microsoft Account associated with the machine (changing that locally will have no impact on the actual MS Account)
AND most importantly
B. Has not used EFS (native Microsoft "Encrypted File System") to encrypt files. Or any third party program to encrypt files.

You can also use this method to rename the account as well, if that is a concern. Simply right click the account in
lusrmgr.msc
and choose rename.
NOTE: This will effectively rename the account but the actual profile folder associated with that account will not be renamed. That will have no impact on how the computer behaves but to clean that up would require you to create a new user profile and then copy the contents of the old user profile over to the new one..

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. Gave it a crack but no go I am afraid. Interestingly the new account that I created using lusrmgr.msc also requires me to manually type the login name each time. In addition, it has an odd problem whereby if you right-click in Explorer there are no menu items (well there are, but no visible text on them). I guess I will live with it for now

Thanks anyway

Ask a Question