SOLVED Windows 10 Won't Fully Boot

Reaction score
Hello all! I am having some trouble. I have a PC and it won't boot. The PC specs are the specs in my profile, though that is not my only computer. When I go to boot my Laptop, it boot normally, until the end. On my other PC, at the end of booting sometimes is briefly displays a black screen with nothing but spinning dots, but then takes me to the login screen. On my messed up Laptop, it does all that, except it never takes me to the login screen. It plays the "welcome" chime, show my cursor, then a loading cursor, the a normal cursor, then just sits there. Then I turns off after about 15 mins. I have tried everything I can think of, I just don't want to lose any data. That's all. I don't care about ANYTHING else other than my data. I have unplugged my wireless mouse, monitors, keyboard, etc. but to no avail. Please help! I will try to include a video of my PC booting.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Were you able to instruct the computer [ via Recovery Console > Troubleshoot ] to start in Safe Mode?

At least that way you could save your important files, should you need to do a clean install.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK so that is good news. You can move files you want to keep to an external drive.

The other thing you can do in Safe Mode is to run a System File Check, and also some DISM scans.

Do you have a Windows.iso on your computer?

Reaction score
Ok. I actually JUST did a DISM, and am now in the process of doing a chkdsk, and I can download a Windows ISO. I have before.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK that would be a good place to start.

What DISM commands did you run, and did you get any errors while running it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, somehow I got behind the arc with that reply.
In addition to using Safe Mode to relocate critical data to external media, you can also use it to open Device Manager and remove your Video card and reboot and see if the computer boots normally.

Reaction score
Sorry, somehow I got behind the arc with that reply.
In addition to using Safe Mode to relocate critical data to external media, you can also use it to open Device Manager and remove your Video card and reboot and see if the computer boots normally.
Ok, it just finished chkdsk and has failed to boot again.... I will try that.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Also in Safe Mode can you check your Update History please:

In the search box type update history and select View your update history from search results.

Let us know if there any failed updates present, and also the most recent update KB number installed successfully.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you are planning on using the RestoreHealth flag you really want to do a few other things first.

Do this in an Administrator: Command Prompt window, in the order given.

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

Code:
 DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeCompnentStore

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Regedit32

Reaction score
If there is an error to repair and after all that it cannot repair, then you would need to grab a new Windows.iso, and use that for repairing.

But trouble may well be onto something there too, so for now I'll leave you in his hands, and check back later on any progress you have.

Reaction score
Ok. I am working on booting into Safe Mode now, and will try all of your tips and report back when I can. Thanks so much for your help!!

Reaction score
Just a quick note, I am still working on your fixes: I have to use a monitor because my native display is broken (cracked LCD) and is NOT recognizable by the laptop (it makes the beeps at boot to indicate this). Just thought I'd say this.

Ask a Question