SOLVED Windows 10 Won't Fully Boot

Reaction score
OK, at this point, I am exhausted with this computer. I think I am just going to use safe mode to take off everything I can and then restore Windows. When I come back from dinner (6:00 or 7:00) I am going to check back here. If no one else has suggestions, I will proceed with the described plan. I have been trying for a while now to get this thing to boot, and I am tired of not having it functioning. Thanks! Also, I just wanted to say, it failed to boot the first time I booted it after installing Windows 10. Man can Windows be annoying.....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... whatever you decide is best for you. Personally I prefer a nice clean, custom install.
Just by way of advising you, as to where I was going by suggesting that you use Safe Mode, to uninstall your Video Adapter from Device Manager, including the drivers.....

Typically when I'm trying to diagnose a non-booting machine, I will first try Safe Mode.
IF it boots in Safe Mode, I will likely try Safe Mode with Networking next.
IF it boots and runs in Safe Mode with Networking, I will likely try disable early launch anti-malware protection.

When a machine boots in Safe Mode, but does not boot or in your case, fully boot to a useable desktop it is most often one or more of a few different possibilities.
A driver issue, where an update has occurred with less than optimal results or for some other reason a formerly functioning driver has become corrupt.

The other likely cause is some third party software product causing a problem because of a process or service that Windows doesn't like. This can be a product of a new software program being installed or an update to one already present on the computer.

Since your machine seemed to be booting, just not all the way and since I interpreted what you were describing initially as a likely video card driver problem, I suspect that if you removed that from Device Manager and its' associated drivers while in Safe Mode and then rebooted, that the machine would likely reboot normally at least until the corrupt or otherwise problematic driver was reinstalled.
AMD Radeon cards are good for this, especially if everything doesn't go well with the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) which I think they now call "Crimson" or something such, but....
nVidia and even Intel Video cards can have these issues.

So that was sorta what I was thinking which may or may not have been accurate or even applicable.
Another good tool I use sometimes from Safe Mode is called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) you run it in Safe Mode and pretty much accept the default settings and it does the heavy lifting for you.
It prevents Windows from re-installing the problem driver before you can get to it and get it installed yourself.
http://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v17.0.6.4.exe

Good luck, whatever you decide, and......
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, could you be more specific on which driver to uninstall? Or at least where in Device Manager to find it? Also, where could I find Event Viewer?
Cortana Search Bar won't work...​

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
where could I find Event Viewer?
C:\Windows\System32
eventvwr.exe
OR
eventvwr.msc
Either should work fine.

AS for which driver. I was talking about your video adapter driver.
Why not just use DDU link I provided above and let it do the work for you.

Reaction score
PS: The reason I am taking so long for results is because of where I am. I have to have 3 things plugged in (Happy Laptop, Sad Laptop, Monitor) and have to have my "Sad" Laptop hooked up to Ethernet for Safe Boot with Networking. And I keep accidentally unplugging my PC (battery is out so I can access the boot options by unplugging, boot, unplug, etc.) and have to start over. I think I have worked it so I won't have to start over anymore, though! I hope to have results in 10-15 mines!

Reaction score
Well, didn't work. I uninstalled the only device under ------ scratch that!!! It just booted!!!!!!!!! (It literally booted as I was typing this response!)

Reaction score
OK. Maybe not. It booted to the normal login screen, then only showed the magnifier, which was glitching anyway. So I turned it off (not by force). Now I have booted it again, same thing, except no magnifier. What should I do now?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... did you use DDU to remove the video card adapter driver?.
That will prevent the problem driver from being re-installed immediately.
Without seeing exactly what you are seeing, I can't say for certain.

In the event that it might be something other than a device driver there is another approach you might try, but you need to make sure that it is not your video adapter.
When you use DDU to remove the adapter and the driver, when you reboot it normally it should load only a generic VGA adapter driver and will look almost like it is still in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
OK, I actually forgot to use DDU. Sorry. My computer is driving me crazy! :) I will try that soon, I have to leave. I will respond once I have tried it!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, that's fine. It's Friday night anyway so I'll probably be taking the Big Boss out for dinner myself.
We should probably, at some point determine which video adapter your laptop is using. So you should prepare in advance by going to Dell and acquiring the latest video adapter driver they have for your specific Service Tag Number and video adapter that is present in your machine.

Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! All good! Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who helped, especially to "Trouble". I am so happy! Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're more than welcome.
OF course, it's very possible that Windows Update will reinstall the problem driver again, so you'll want to keep an eye out for that to possibly happen.
At least now you're prepared with a means to remove the problem driver and install the proper driver.

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks again! Little fun fact: when Steve Jobs was creating macOS, he actually tasked Bill Gates with making an OS. When Bill had done that, he saw "potential" and kept it secret, and now it's the Windows we know today.

Ask a Question