Windows 10 Won't Go To Sleep

Reaction score
I've been on Windows 10 for about a year. Up until recently, the sleep feature worked pretty well. I had occasional issues with the machine waking up without reason but it always went to sleep at the set time interval reliably.

About three months ago I started having issues with the Adobe Cloud desktop application. For me, this was a big problem. I made numerous calls to Adobe support (I'm paying for this service), checked a bunch of forums but I could not make that problem go away. I was advised that I needed to reload Windows, which I really did not want to do, but eventually I caved in and did it. I didn't wipe the machine, I just reloaded the OS and all the applications - which was enough! In fact, this did fix the Adobe problem.

Since doing this the machine will not go to sleep based on time at all. If I press the power button (set for sleep) or select sleep from the start menu, it sleeps fine and I have no issues with it inadvertently waking up or not waking up when I jiggle the mouse. It's fine. However, nothing I have been able to to will cause it to go to sleep based on a time interval.

I have read every post I can find on this subject and chased a dozen or so settings in the machine to no avail. Any ideas as to why this machine will now not sleep based on the time setting?

Reaction score
It says I am at 10.0.17134 Build 17134. I do have all the latest updates (on automatic). When I rebuilt the OS I did a re-load, not necessarily an upgrade. I'll take a hard look at the link you included this evening. Thanks

Reaction score
The system info says 10.0.17134 but the View Update History says "Windows 10, version 1803". I think I'm up to date - it just did a big update yesterday.

Reaction score
Alrighty then, have you checked both the power settings in Settings AND Control Panel???:

upload_2018-5-11_6-41-17.png

upload_2018-5-11_6-41-41.png

:):):)

Reaction score
Of course. I've checked this a dozen times and I've gone through all of the advanced setting and checked them as well. I used the command prompt to reset the defaults on these but got the following error: "The power scheme, subgroup or setting specified does not exist". No idea why I can't do the reset. Note that other power control settings do work. Button assignment, drive sleep, screen power, all of these work as set up in power controls.

I've also checked all of my drivers and they are up to date. I've looked at the system logs and there is nothing suspicious there either.

Reaction score
I found this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ice-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options which lists the commands for changing the power settings. The "Restore plan defaults" box in all power configurations is grayed out. I tried using the command prompt to reset the options but the command "powercfg /restoredefaultsettings" is no longer a valid command. Using the /? command to list all valid settings, I see that this command is no longer listed. I used the command /D to delete the two custom settings I have created. Following this, I rebooted the machine and set up a new custom setting, which would put the computer to sleep in ten minutes. I set a timer for ten minutes and waited. Nope - didn't go to sleep. (Didn't even say it was getting tired, ha ha.)

I ran the system file check and that did not turn up any system file problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you logged in as Admin or a different user?, this may have something to do with things if as you say, the options box was greyed out?. :)

Reaction score
If not too sensitive, Could you post a snapshot of what you have running under the start tab of the task manager. I think you have a program running which needs to keep the computer active.

Reaction score
I'm logged in as me with admin rights. I've also logged in as administrator and tried the same things. No difference. Screen shots of all the running processes are attached.
Anyone want to opine as to why I have so many Widows processes that are duplicated?
screen6.PNG
screen5.PNG
screen4.PNG
screen3.PNG
screen2.PNG
screen 1.PNG

Reaction score
You can't snip it, What's under there is Google Chrome and Task Manager. I shut off all the main applications and it still won't go to sleep. Either one of the background processes is causing the problem or there is some problem with the sleep function itself.

Reaction score
No. You can start the snipping tool, but when you click on the start button, it turns off Snipper. I suppose I could use a cell phone, but really, there is nothing running. Are you looking for some of the apps under create or explore or other not in use categories?

Reaction score
OK. I dont think we are discussing the Windows 10 Snipping tool. (No "Strat" button on mine)
You appeared to get the pictures of the running "processes" (under the processes tab) ok, though. We'll leave it.

Reaction score
Your build is very old and probably the one that sleep did not work. Newer builds solved that.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, several people including me have had this type of trouble because of USB ports. Other people have reported a sleep problem when game controllers are plugged in. I have no game controllers. I found a solution inadvertently. I"m running several Windows 10 Home computers. After update to Version 1803 Build 17134.81, two of my laptops would not turn off the screen after specified period. I tried everything I could find on the internet as you did with no success. Sometime later, I decided to switch the mouse of two computers (mainly because of wire length) one of which turned off the screen as requested but not the other. When I switched the mice the screen turnoff problem switched with the mice. On the laptop with the problem I decided to just pull the USB mouse and the problem went away. Hope you have success.

Ask a Question