SOLVED Windows 10 won't logon

Reaction score
For some reason, about 2 months ago something happened. When I log on the the computer I have to log on with a PIN instead of a password. When I use the PIN, I get something that says "Preparing Windows". I then go to my desktop. I then get a blue pop up box in the center of the screen that says I am not in Windows. It gives me an option to either sign out or close the box. If I don't sign in anything I create won't save. Also, I lose the icons on the quick start bar and all my favorites disappear. If I sign out, the computer restarts and I am back to where I started with the pop up box. If I close it I have to go to the Microsoft site to sign in. I don't want to do all this, I just want Windows to work when I sign in to the computer. This is on a Dell Inspirion laptop. There are two of us that use it and the other person has no problems. What can I do?

Thanks

Reaction score
The other thing that happens is in the start menu, let's say I want to use the calculator. I click on it but it doesn't open. It gets a white line under it but doesn't open. This happens with a number of things on the menu.

Reaction score
Hi mou353,

back up what ever data you have onto a USB stick or external drive and then reset the PC wiping all files, this is drastic but once done, set up your PC with a "Local Account" only which is what I do!:

Settings > Updates & Security > Recovery
rest pc.jpg

Reaction score
Actually, I just created a new account which is working fine. This was the easiest way to correct the situation. So far I have not deleted the old, bad account. When I am sure I don’t need any data from the old account I will delete it though I do have an external hard drive so everything should be on that.

Thanks for replying.

Reaction score
Hi mou353,

please mark as solved in the first post of this thread so it helps others!. :)

The reason I said to reset the PC btw was because I had problems myself with the latest version playing silly buggers with my games, I reset it and everything works fine!. :)

Ask a Question