Game not opening on Win 10 pro.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have one game which I cannot get to run - Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove CE.
Game is on disc but I have also tried downloading the trial with the same result.
I’ve tried all compatibility modes, running windowed mode but I’m out of options.
This is affecting other players of the game too so we’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just 100% not working on 10 but yet older games work fine.
Is there any further suggestions I can try?
Currently running the game in Win 8.1vm but can’t have sound - may also post question on that later.

I’ve downloaded the DirectX for 2010 but still not working.
Thanks.

D41B9782-EB20-4A29-B4FE-60E29A77FA01.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Virginia,

what version of Win 10 are you running?:

You might need an upgrade before the game will run?. :)

Reaction score
A lot of people report that it is not Windows 10 compatible. I've found with a lot of games, compatibility mode just doesn't work. There probably isn't much hope for it working in Windows 10 unless the developers create a patch for it.

Reaction score
I don't know if the game's still supported. Being 10 years old, I wouldn't expect one. But hopefully they do.

Reaction score
Hi Virginia,

look at the software files on the game disk and check the DivX folder out, you might be able to install a version of DivX from there?. :)

Reaction score
Everyone who has the game can't run in in Windows 10. No one has successfully done it. Issues go back to 2015

Reaction score
Hi Virginia,

look at the software files on the game disk and check the DivX folder out, you might be able to install a version of DivX from there?. :)
Thanks Wolfie, for some strange reason though there is only the game’s installer .exe file there.
I’ll double-check though.

Reaction score
Everyone who has the game can't run in in Windows 10. No one has successfully done it. Issues go back to 2015
It’s been a futile attempt every time I try but I’ll keep trying. :)
It last worked on Windows 8.1.

Reaction score
Hi Virginia,

when you open Explorer, click on View > Hidden items (over to the right of the window) just to make sure that all files are indeed showing!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, sorry for the late reply, currently having PC problems which may require a clean install.
I’ll get back to you before I do that though.

Reaction score
Have a client who is a Big Fish Nut. and when I ask her about Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove CE. She playes all the time and says yes, windows 10 Pro compatible since that is all she has on her laptop. (No, it is not running in Compatibility mode) just Windows 10.
PS: the laptop is a HP

Reaction score
Was your client’s laptop upgraded from an older Windows version - say 7 or 8/8.1?
The game worked well on my original laptop which was Windows Vista, paraded to Windows 8.1 then upgraded to Windows 10. Unfortunately the Motherboard died. The laptop I have now came with Windows 10 & it has never worked.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, sorry for the late reply, currently having PC problems which may require a clean install.
I’ll get back to you before I do that though.

Looked under the disk & there was some hidden files.
Annotation 2020-01-25 140035.jpg

However running the file give:
Annotation 2020-01-25 140105.jpg

Reaction score
If you can boot into the system then try "Repair Install" - how to take the iso you have and uncompress it into,
user\your name\iso then run setup that is how you do a repair install of the OS... you only need the same iso as your current version.

It only repairs the OS it does not mess anything else..... also if the program stated above needs to be installed in compatibility mode.
or get the windows 10 version.

Reaction score
Thanks @Snuffy but a repair install isn’t needed as the problem isn’t with Windows, in any case the problem occurs even on a clean install of Windows 10.
There’s no Windows 10 version & I’ve tried installing & running in compatibility mode.
The game isn’t compatible unfortunately. :(

Reaction score
I also have a lot of games that are designed foe Win 9x that I cannot play anymore (but would like to). Unfortunately I can't even install one of these systems on my oldest PC anymore cause too much memory and too much CPU speed. Maybe I can find an old Pentium III somewhere on a yard sale.....

Reaction score
"Currently running the game in Win 8.1vm but can’t have sound - may also post question on that later. "

if it runs in Windows 8.x it will run in Windows 10. now some of my Win95 games NO will not run in Win10.
Install does not work while Setup does. also some games will not run due to the graphics settings.
I play this game all the time Windows 10 19555.
1580756045411.png

1. Minimum/Recommended specifications

################################################################################

-Minimum Configuration:
Win 2000/XP Only
DirectX 9.0c
1.5 GHz Pentium 4, AMD Athlon, or equivalent
512 MB RAM
64MB DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with Pixel Shader 1.1 capability
DirectX 9.0 compatible sound device
DVD-ROM 8x or faster
2.8 GB hard drive space
Windows-compatible mouse required

-Recommended Configuration:
Win 2000/XP Only
DirectX 9.0c
2 GHz Pentium 4, AMD Athlon or equivalent
1024 MB RAM
128MB DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card
DirectX 9.0 compatible sound device
DVD-ROM 8x or faster
2.8 GB hard drive space
Windows-compatible mouse required
Internet connection for play on Ubi.com (minimum 56k modem or broadband)

################################################################################

2. Operating System

The game has been tested successfuly on Win 2000, Win XP, Win XP SP2

Not Supported:
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows NT
Directx9.0b and previous versions.

Reaction score
I’ve gone through all the settings & cannot get the game to work.
If it’s working for you then that’s good.

Ask a Question