Issues with Steam(game client)

Reaction score
Hello everyone~
(NOTE: not exactly sure where this should belong as it has to do with Gaming , connection issues, or just general issues.. if not appropriate here it can be moved without issue)

Recently (Past couple months or so) have noticed an issue when downloading games OR patches for games that are in my Steam Library. Im rather reluctant to contact Steam YET .. but if I have to I will.

Issue:
When Downloading a game OR patches for a game via Steam it seems to "flood" or "lag out"my network.

What I mean by that :
When I download a game or a patch for a game (no matter the size) even AFTER setting a bandwidth limit for Steam on downloads.. my Hard Wired computer ( main desktop that is used for gaming) seems to lag a very tolerable/slight bit when doing other internet related tasks.

HOWEVER, ANY wireless clients ( Roku Device .. tablet .. laptop..phone) "lag out" sometimes to the point that they also loose connection . (Most evident when using my wireless Roku Devices one is on all the time the other is on on an occasional basis but still suffers the same issue. )

What has been tried thus far: (in order)
- Called and had a Service tech visit(2 weeks ago ish) and check the gateway device and wires I use to connect to my internet service.(Spectrum) He changed some coax ends all round(from basement of complex I live in to the port in my apartment) .. also gave me a replacement length of coax to go from the wall port to the gateway device ( I self installed the cable with no issue) and he checked the device and line I replaced on site.
Result: passed all onsite tech tests. (speed and connectivity wise)

A Few days after the tech left up till today I have done the following at different times and different days:

-Changed the Bandwidth limitations within Steam itself from unlimited all the way down to the lowest possible.
Result: Lag or dropped connection issue.

- Tried the same with different games and game clients (GOG and UPLay specifically). Also changed the bandwidth limitations from no limit to lowest limit on large and small games and/or patches .
Result: NO lag or drop issues.

- Downloaded a huge multi patch for Neverwinter Online AND played constantly for hours on end (latest stint was about 6 hours 3 days ago) ..AND Uninstalled and reinstalled Neverwinter Online. (Installed and played AND patched via their ARC client AND without their client being used )
Result: NO ISSUES while either patching , playing or re-downloading .. NOTE Neverwinter Online MUST be played while constantly connected to the internet .. AND I use Video and Voice chat(Discord) while playing at the same time .. with NO ISSUES.

Not sure if any one can help with this .. but I figured I'd ask here before I contact Steam directly, due to the fact, I have had to contact them before(SEPARATE ISSUE) as well as other people mentioning issues (similar and separate) and they either a) take a long time(sometimes days to almost a week) to respond or b) keep me (and others) running around in circles and asking to do things that seemingly have NO bearing on the issue .

If you need anymore info feel free to ask and I will provide info as best as possible :)

Thank you in advance.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
"When I download a game or a patch for a game (no matter the size) even AFTER setting a bandwidth limit for Steam on downloads."

It is a tiresome problem here as well. I think Steam even knows about the issue and have not done anything to fix it.

Reaction score
"When I download a game or a patch for a game (no matter the size) even AFTER setting a bandwidth limit for Steam on downloads."

It is a tiresome problem here as well. I think Steam even knows about the issue and have not done anything to fix it.

Clifford~

Well at least I'm not the only one ( at least by your comment) that seems to be having the issue ..

I've look thru the Steam Forums and have NOT seen any one reporting an issue similar to mine, unfortunately, unless, they are reporting it on Reditt or other social media that I don't have :(

Reaction score
It has been this way for a year or more. You set the limit and it works for an hour or so. But eventually the throttle is lost and Steam starts downloading at full ISP bandwidth. If you pause the download and restart, it will force Steam to throttle again for a bit. I'm really surprised you haven't seen anything in the forums. It is hard for me to imagine no one has complained. I think my own son has reported it several months back.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
When Downloading a game OR patches for a game via Steam it seems to "flood" or "lag out"my network.
It's been an issue for me ever since I got steam....sometimes it really fast and other times it crawls. My only saving grace was jumping from 20 meg ISP to 100 meg ISP and even then I still get the same lag here and there.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What's really sucky with steam; is since steam has changed it's format style (now it looks like every other game service)....it's slow to load and slow to change from store to library and library to store.

Regedit32

Reaction score
My Nephew got me using Steam on his computer. The only thing lagging was my Reaction time to opponents shooting me :p

Ask a Question