GDP partitions and hard drive docking stations

Reaction score
I have an Old Rosewill rx-RU300 docking station. I have been using an 8TB hard drive in it even though rated at 3TB. The drive was partitioned as 2TB and 2 others used as a system image and the other as a backup. I bought a new Sabrent docking station supposedly rated up to 10TB. The drive is not recognized in File explorer but is seen in disk manager. Now it shows one 2 TB partition using a GDP rather than MBR. There is another unallocated partition for 6TB. I have read about recovery of data from GDP partitions but was wondering if I would get the original 3 partition structure back. Any experience?

Reaction score
Or is it a GPT partitioning? My experience is that once a partition is no longer identified it is difficult to retrieve any data in it. There may be data but when recovered to a different drive is corrupted enough to be unusable. There's a number of recovery programs available on the Internet, some paid some free. Have you tried the drive back in the older dock?

Ask a Question