Gen4 M.2 SSD

Reaction score
Some ask if they are worth the $. that depends on if you want the SPEED and if you have a Mobo that supports.
Tested two of the most popular.
1. Sabent Gen4 M2 SSD.
1592878999894.png

2. GeForce MP600 Gen4 M.2 SSD
1592879098958.png

Reaction score
Gen 4 supported mobo's are getting expensive, if you want the latest and greatest from Intel for example, they change the socket too often so you cannot just upgrade the CPU alone, you need a new mobo too. Their new(ish) Gen 10 CPU's are a good example!. :confused:

I like the idea of more speed but money is tight at the mo so I will stick with what I have for now!. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
For me.....it's Yes, Yes and Yes. Sadly my mobo doesn't support Gen 4. But, I'll be upgrading cpu, mobo, ram to a AMD Ryzen 7 setup. Hopefully with in 6 months...if the powers that be hold.

Reaction score
I moved from B450 mobo and Ryzen 7 to X570 Mobo and Ryzen 3900x, have now added 3 Gen4 SSDs. all performing as expected, moved from 2400 Memory to 3600 Memory then up'd the power supply, settled for Boot speed of 4300 MHz and Memory at 18-22-22-42-84
1592937271468.png
1592937308102.png

went with the ASRock X570
1592937411844.png

and with the OC group that I'm with I have less issues and obtain better speed then 98%. can obtain higher speeds if i refrain to doing smaller less packages. or drop the cores. easy to have 4600 Mhz at half core.
all tests are ran and I use all cores to do my daily work... vt is 1.34375 at Bios.
1592937831328.png

Reaction score
Mo money, mo money, mo money.... That is what spins the tech world. You gotta ask yourself, "Do I need to spend a "G" on a CPU, if the one I bought for 400 dollars is still working?"

Yep, that's the question. And the answer is usually "YAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Reaction score
They are very fast and you don't have to upgrade everytime something faster comes out so you can save a nano second. I see a clear difference from a sata ssd to a M2 EVO 2566GB. but that's all I know about it. It was left in a W530 laptop I bought used from a college, oops. The were supposed to pull all drives. I didn't know it was there till it asked which drive I wanted to install on. My client was thrilled to buy that laptop

Reaction score
If that is what you want then YES, took me some time, to get a Gen 4 1TB SSD, but now I have 3. keep looking, and always find someone that
No it does not work in HIS/SHE mobo, so sell it, I allso found 3600 memory that was sold cheap, they bought a pack of 8 16gb, and what there mobo only had 6 slots, so i bought the other 2. and then i found a "Shop that upgraded new OEM to better, and they had 6 Gen 4 1tb, SSDs @ 179.00 they removed for a business (new systems) and upgraded them to 2tb Gen 4s. nice buy, as far as im concerned.
What you say they sold with NO HEAT SINK, OK, any hacksaw can make you a nice heat sink for any scrap aluminum skillet, buy some thermo tape, then plastic zips, to hold in place. works great, I know I did for the 2 i have installed. I have been looking for a throw away Copper Skillet, but so far only aluminum. and many many sell old used very good CPUs when they upgrade, 2700 then a 3900 then now i'm on a 3900x, very happy and i think only only out 375 on the CPU.

Reaction score
And I'm still looking for an excuse to upgrade. I'm going from the Ryzen 5 to a 7 in a couple of weeks; and from a B450 to an X570 ASAP. DDR5 memory is here, and AM5 is coming. Whatcha gon do? Gon' get my groove on. It's crazy man! But I love it. Being in lockdown got me crazy too. Gotta have something to do. Not a gamer, but I love powerful PC's so I read a lot of PC build type forums. If the bargains were the latest and the greatest, I'd be on them too. But if it ain't new..., I mean OOB new, it isn't gonna make me happy. I got trust issues, what can I say....

Reaction score
AMD 9 is much better than 7, so get you a 9, for the x570. and DDR5 currently no mobo - Samsung is set to release its next-generation system memory in 2021. Trust Issues, then why ask on a Forum. I have bought many many used, and for the most part I'd say 99.9 are honest. but then purchase with a Verified Return if not 100% as advertised.

Last edited:
Reaction score
" then why ask on a Forum", cuz I know that there are people a lot smarter than me with this stuff, so I learn a lot. And yeah, Ryzen 9 IS much better than Ryzen 7. That's why it costs twice as much!
"The independent JEDEC standard LP-DDR5 (Low Power Double Data Rate 5), intended for laptops and smartphones, was released in February 2019". No desktop board yet, but DDR5 is here.
Don't get your panties in a wad dude. Whoever finds "bargains" on used and refurbs, more power to them. I just have no confidence in used hardware. There is a market for it, I'm just not in it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
just have no confidence in used hardware.
Me to....and for a long time. But, and this is a big BUT, I was recently forced to go used and off of Ebay no less for a replacement mobo. So far so good...knock on wood. Sometimes one has to take a leap of faith.

Reaction score
Me to....and for a long time. But, and this is a big BUT, I was recently forced to go used and off of Ebay no less for a replacement mobo. So far so good...knock on wood. Sometimes one has to take a leap of faith.

A leap of faith for sure. I actually tried an eBay CPU once, and had to send it back. I was refunded, and that's a plus, but the loss time, and the "if" it works. Don't got that kinda time.

Ask a Question