SOLVED Boot getting slower overtime on SSD

Reaction score
Hi! I need some help on this because I can't really figure out what's going on.

A few months ago my 7200 RPM HDD died on me, so I took that as an opportunity and switched to SSD. It's a Kingston A400 with 240 GB capacity.

At first the boot time was pretty quick, around 10 - 15 seconds, even with Fast Boot disabled. But overtime, it started to take longer and longer. The SSD itself appears to be fine, as CrystalDiskMark shows expected write and read values. Also I ran CrystalDiskInfo and says everything's fine too. CHKDSK and WD LifeGuard showed no errors whatsoever.

I made some research and downloaded the Windows Perfomance Recorder, and found out the Winlogon phase is taking way too long. However the Windows Perfomance Analyzer is way too complex to me and I can't pinpoint the problem properly.
Things I tried to no avail:

- Boot with no 3rd party services running
- Updating the SATA driver
- Uninstalling (not unplugging) the DVD drive

Specs:

- 8GB RAM
- Intel Core i5-4430 3.0 gHz
- Kingston A400 240 GB SSD
- Windows 10 Version 1909 (18363.815)

You may find the log here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L-t99Kidu-ArpVU8zsNCliuYHGN8_pa_

It's pretty compressed so it may take some time to unzip.

Reaction score
how full is that 256GB SSD? other than that what is loading at startup, the more services programs etc. loading the longer it will take.
You can run some DISM tools from a CMD Prompt as Administrator
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow
chkdsk C: /f
If all this doesn't help. You can do an upgrade Repair Install Check the Article section for a tutorial if you need it.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm marking this as solved because I figured out... in a weird way I must say.

What I did:

1. I created a full system image with Macrium Reflect Free.
2. I created a bootable USB with the latest version of Windows 10, and made a clean install.
3. The clean install was working flawlessly. That is, boot time was smooth again, around 13 seconds. So the SSD itself is fine.
4. After this test I restored the image I created in step one. Unexpectedly, even after the old image was restored, it started to boot as fast as day one again. So, I don't know what exactly happened. Thing is, everything is working as it should again.

Hope this helps if someone else encounters with this issue.

Reaction score
Usually it helps to run a clean up on the disk to remove temporary files, old update files etc. Optimizing the drive will do some improvement as well (similar to the old defrag o HDD's).

I am guessing, since your original system works as expected again, that the restore by Macrium reflect optimized the structure. I personally never had to do that to increase the boot up speed and I am using SSD's since 2016.

Ask a Question