Getting access permission

Reaction score
Everytime I run a malware scanner, it returns the same PUPs, so I though I would manually check, but I am denied access to \ProgramData\ApplicationData\ and told to fix that in Security. That in turn lists four entities that might get permission. When for simplicity, I chose "Everyone' there was an error. The description of the other three leaves me puzzled. Could I get a clear step by step procedure to gain access ? There is only one account (with administrator privileges) and there are no other users.

Reaction score
Hi Sebastian42,

what malware app are you using?, that might help people to help you!. ;)

Reaction score
I am in no way concerned about the malware scanner - my concern is with access denied to \ProgramData\Application data\. I would like step by step instructions on how to wade though that maze of options that bars me from looking into \ProgramData\Application data\.

Reaction score
"I am in no way concerned about the malware scanner".

You might want to be as that is what be stopping you?. ;)

Reaction score
I am guessing that some malware created that path " \ProgramData\ApplicationData\ " as I do not have it on any of my computers running any flavor of Windows 10.
Therefore I would consider the computer compromised and no longer trustworthy. Since you cannot access that folder, I recommend to get the little program called "Unlocker" (find it here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html) . It can help you with stubborn files and folders. Make sure you disable your AV when installing. This little program has helped me once in a while when files/folder are locked somehow and cannot be unlock by windows means.

Reaction score
I have, and have used UNLOCKER, and am happy to delete " \ProgramData\ApplicationData\ " if it should not exist. If Unlocker does not do it, I can try making the HDD a slave and doing it that way.

Ask a Question