Not Getting Audio From the headphone jack on my laptop

Reaction score
Hello Peoples,

Hope this is in the right place. I didn't know what category to choose since I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

So when I plug in my headphones or any other audio device into the headphone jack on my laptop (which i just got like a couple months ago), I get the notification that a something has been plugged in, but no sound comes from my headphones, and it is not listed in the playback devices.

I tried going to the control panel and setting the headphones as default, and checking for driver updates but it didn't help.

The only way I can get it to work is if I plug in my headphones and restart the whole computer. But as soon as I unplug the headphones again, I'm back to where I started.

I know the problem isn't my headphones cuz they work fine with my phone. And I've tried speakers and ear buds in my laptop and get the same problem.

Any help would be very very greatly appreciated!
I'm working on producing music and I'm supposed to have this project done today, but this problem is making it a nightmare!

Reaction score
Hi ShuaShua,

open Control Panel > Sound > Playback and (check that the headphones are plugged in first) and look at what is set as default!. :)

Reaction score
Hi ShuaShua,

open Control Panel > Sound > Playback and (check that the headphones are plugged in first) and look at what is set as default!. :)

Thanks for the reply, but as I said, "it is not listed in the playback devices" and "I tied going to the control panel and setting the headphones as default"

Reaction score
check in control panel for any yellow marks. correct then see if that fixes your sound. if no then delete all sound devices games controllers
reboot and then retest

Reaction score
Hi,

Had a situation with same symptoms on my Dell laptop with Win10 bld1909 and had to re-install the Audio driver ie. radeon-software-adrenalin-18.9.3-minimalsetup-181005-64bit. It all works now. Don't know what setup you've got but I'd try updating/refreshing whatever driver(s) you are using first. Good luck

Ask a Question