Getting the windows 8 Modern start menu back in Windows 10

Reaction score
I was asked by a couple of users, how I created the modern start menu (post #6) in Windows 10. First, like the enquirers, I was a dedicated Modern tile start menu enthusiast. The pistur shown was from an earlier release. I am holding the method in abeyance at the moment, as it need soome work to create the start menu and, with so many builds becoming avaialable, I would pefer to wit a little. Bu, for those who want to produce it, here's how.
The menu was avaiable on the earlier builds, but not on 9926. So, the first step is to replace the exisitng start menu with the previous "stretchable" one.

1. Unzip the attached, and run the "Resizable .bat", file. Your screen will momenterally flick off and back on. You now have the stretchable menu in place.

2. Right click the task bar and select "Properties"

3.Under the "Navigation" tab, select this configuration.

"Dont show Start after I log in" NOT selected.

"Show Start on the display I'm using when I press the Windows logo key" Selected

"Show the Apps view automatically when I go to Start" NOT selected

4. Under the "Start Menu" tab, "use the Start menu instead of the Start screen. NOT selected. You will be asked to sign out and in again, to activate this feature.

For those who have used the modern Start menu before, you now have the custommisable picture before you.

Please. If you want to return to the defaults, then you must reverse the procedure, starting with the "Default" bat file.

Only do this if you are sure of you ability to return everything to it's original state. I have no hacks in my registry, other than this one, and theprocedure works for me. I offer no guarantees , as these builds can be temeramental and produce different results.

Attachments

• Menustretch.zip
    818 bytes · Views: 869
Reaction score
Quite obviously you're a very smart fella, but that metro stuff stands for everything I oppose,(in a home computer desktop environment that is...)

Cheers...

Reaction score
Not really smart, just curious and experimental.
As I said in my No1 post, it was for those who were curious. As you were not in the least, you did not need to contribute to this very old thread.

Reaction score
I'm the most curious guy around. I couldn't wait to get my hands on 8.

It was only after I had it in front of me, and saw first hand for my self what was what did I sour on it, totally.

I absolutely love to have the latest and greatest, but I steadfastly refuse to sacrifice logic and usability merely for change sake.(and I'm being extremely generous in my description as to why these changes were made.)

Anyhoo dude, wasn't trying to insult you or dredge up old posts... just saw this thread sitting right below under similar threads, so I responded. Sorry for any inconvenience...

Ask a Question