Gone back to Windows 8.1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't think Windows 10 is ready for the big wide world just yet. I've restored back to Windows 8.1 and immediately it feels faster and smoother. Everything works.

So, what did I not get on with?

• When starting up from sleep or hibernation, the screen refresh seemed to be very slow and blocky. About half the screen would display, then there was a delay of about 1-2 seconds then the rest came up. It feels like the video driver still has debug code in it (it's a very high res screen 2560 x 1440).
  • Outlook didn't work properly - OK cured with the SFC command (was that the correct spelling - you know what I mean), but it still felt "clunky".
  • I had intermittent issues with file explorer.
  • CPU usage seemed higher.
  • My HP printer drivers didn't work.
  • Classic Shell had issues.
  • The new browser (Edge?) doesn't feel finished.
  • On my other machine with an HP fingerprint device, it would not start up from hibernate or sleep. I could enter a password (the fingerprint device didn't work) but the <Enter> key didn't do anything. From a reboot, it worked fine.
And to cap it all, while I was writing this post, the damn thing started to re-install Windows 10. I had to let it finish and then roll back again. Luckily, this forum or Firefox kept my information.

So, there you have it. I'm happy being a beta tester on my VM, but I can't test everything. I trusted Microsoft, but feel somewhat let down.

I'll try again in a few months when I've seen what happens to everyone else.

Alan

Reaction score
Some people have issues with "Upgrade Installs" versus a clean install.
That happened A LOT with Windows 7 when it came out.
Did you look for HP Windows 10 drivers for your printer?
Edge is unfinished. Fast... very fast but no customizations for it yet. I'll stick with Firefox.
I never use Outlook, hated it from years ago.
File explorer for me is fast... very fast. Much better than Windows 7 or 8.1

Reaction score
The Microsoft Edge browser is junk. I can't believe Microsoft designed something like this. It doesn't have half the features IE11, Chrome or Firefox has. Windows 10 mail is not nearly as good as the Windows mail in Windows 8.1. No button to empty the trash bin. All your e-mail accounts listed under the account label instead of being displayed individually on the side. Wish I had never upgraded and had stayed with Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience only, let me state what I've observed concerning upgrade installs versus clean installs.

1. Whenever most anyone has done a upgrade install on an OEM computer such as a Dell, HP or Compaq it's nearly always been sketchy and given people problems. I don't know for sure if it's because of those asinine "recovery" partitions or what. When doing upgrades on a Lenovo or a Toshiba those usually went okay. Eliminating those factory-made recovery or OEM partitions are a downright bitch to get rid of. Sometimes they can be eliminated via the System Administration feature in Control Panel. Most of the time you can't even eliminate them via the boot install process. Several times I had to go to the CMD window and use Diskpart commands to get to the very root level of the drive.

Go to this link: How to Delete an OEM Partition? to see how to do it.
It's not too tedious and takes about 3-5 minutes or so.

2. Doing an upgrade install on a homebrew or custom built system I've never seen it go wonky at all, ever.
Usually nearly all custom built systems usually have a better experience because the individual has a more extensive knowledge the system hardware and proper installation of drivers.

3. A clean install is really the best way to install a new operating system. It gives a much cleaner and snappier OS response versus an upgrade install. However I have noticed that the Windows 10 upgrade install has been the smoothest and easiest I've yet experienced. I did two upgrades, one on my own custom desktop system and another on a Dell Optiplex 960 (where I hac previously did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro because of a HDD failure) I made sure to remove the Windows.Old folders from both using CCleaner and also deleted the $Windows~bin folder.

I am going to let these two install run for a while and see how they settle in. If I find it necessary, I'll do clean installs later.

Everyone has different ways, choices and methods of working with and interfacing with the Windows OS. No one style or method is absolutely 100% correct for one versus the other.

Me? I just flow along and wait 'till that interdimensional spacecraft comes to get me... :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Microsoft Edge browser is junk. I can't believe Microsoft designed something like this. It doesn't have half the features IE11, Chrome or Firefox has. Windows 10 mail is not nearly as good as the Windows mail in Windows 8.1. No button to empty the trash bin. All your e-mail accounts listed under the account label instead of being displayed individually on the side. Wish I had never upgraded and had stayed with Windows 8.1

You must try and remember that the EDGE browser is still in it's infant stages, a most assured "work in progress".
It's fast, very fast; but it has a LONG way to go until most people will use it.

Personally I never use Email apps, never found one I like that much. I just access Gmail through my Waterfox browser instead, easy peasy lemon squeezy! ;)

Reaction score
why does windows 8.1 boot fast and windows 10 on this box suck so bad it boots like windows 7 did about three min then start loading startup programs before use? is there driver updates that are releasing or what? I even did a clean install of w10 in it didn't help speed up boot time also tried activating fast boot from bios I have the zotac id88 n 8gb ram should be a breeze to use ty goin back to 8.1

Reaction score
In response to Nibiru2012, I don't want to do a clean install, I want my programs and data to stay the same so I don't have to re-install everything. Yes, I have HP laptops (I work for them) with the extra partition, but why would that make a difference to the issues I was seeing?

I still stand by my statement that this is still "work in progress" and I now believe we are all beta testers for MS. Well, not me on my laptops (I still have my Insider VM purring away - but I can't try out some of the issues I've found because it is a VM). And, my main desktop machine is also staying firmly in the Windows 8.1 camp until I am convinced about the UPGRADE!

Alan

Reaction score
I stayed with Windows 8.1 because I am going to need an operating system that my software will be compatable, which is what my supervisor said to do. I just installed a good start menu and it boots into the desktop so it looks like Windows 7.

Reaction score
Yep - every time I read the horror stories on this (and other) forums, I'm glad I haven't got there yet.

Alan

Ask a Question