Graphics Fail

Reaction score
Hi there, The graphics have failed on my AMD A4-5300 processor and will only display vertical coloured lines at start up. I have tried the 3x start - stop method and various keystroke combinations to no avail. I have checked all cable and plug connections and also reset CMOS and BIOS but nothing seems to work. The PC uses my TV as a monitor via HDMI cable. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
A diagnostic to check whether the graphics/display adapter has actually failed would be to plug in a standard monitor, either VGA or DVI depending upon what your computer has. Looking around some forums including this one shows doing HDMI with a TV can be hit or miss at times. I use HDMI with an ASUS 27" monitor which also accepts DisplayPort, VGA and DVI.

Reaction score
Thanks for that reminder, @Wolfie, forgot. And also do not use the most economical cable, especially for the longer runs, quality counts and does cost a bit/lot more.

Reaction score
The graphics is embedded in that AMD chip. Those usually do not fail. However the motherboard might have failed. If you get the same bad results using a different cable attached to a monitor then it would be time to replace the motherboard.

Reaction score
As Wolfie says. But have you tried the simplest solution - rolling back the drivers?

Ask a Question