Strange Error Msg--Intel Graphics have failed for Windows 8 on Win 10

Reaction score
I have a new Dell system which came with Windows 10. It is an All in One system which has the Intel and Nvidia Graphics adapters.

I have, on more than one occasion, gotten a message saying the Intel Display adapter for Windows 8 has recovered. It is a strange message since my system is set to use the Nvidia chip (GT 750M) as primary, so the Intel adapter should not even be involved.

There are some things I might try to test such as disabling the Intel Video Adapter in the Device Manger. But does anyone have a thought as to what might be causing the error messages?

Event Viewer shows this message at the time the error occurred.

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Edit: I just checked the Device Manager and I am showing 176 drivers loaded for the Intel Graphics....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm sure you already know that these dual and apparently dueling GPUs from different manufacturers seem to be plagued with these types of issues.
Is your current driver for the Intel GPU the latest one Dell has to offer for your Service Tag number?
Disabling it in device manager is certainly something I would definitely try.
Keep us posted, I know if anyone can figure it out it's probably going to be you.

Reaction score
I checked the driver version on the Dell site and it is 20.19.15.4312 12/18/2015. The one currently on the system is 20.19.15.4331 11/18/2015.

It is a little confusing when the later version number is tied to an earlier release date. But I will go with just the version number.

I am not sure how a switchable graphics system exactly switches the output, so the Intel adapter may be needed to help port the Nvidia Output. Since the situation only shows up once in a while and doesn't really effect the system, so far, I will just watch it for a while. I have seen occasions when the system comes out of sleep, part of the screen stays black for a few seconds but eventually the whole screen becomes normal.

I don't know how one device can have 176 drivers, but unless someone with the same configuration has fewer, I will consider this normal... I will check the .inf file for the device and see if it shows that many drivers being loaded.

I hope the video configuration on this system is not involved in my CAD problem...

Thanks for the response.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Might be worth a contact with Dell and see if they have anything to say about the situation.
With motherboard and processor support, all newer intel based computer have "Intel Processor Graphics" which can typically be enabled / disabled in the BIOS where of course you can also define your "Initial Display Output" and choose "IGFX" or a different option.
I don't suppose that the Dell BIOS on this device supports any of that??

Reaction score
Dell doesn't offer such an option as disabling one of the Video adapters. When the Nvidia failed on the earlier system, Dell even asked me to check the bios but there was no such option.

I might call Dell if the situation continues, but they did just replace a 18 month old system with a new one...

There is a chance, because of the Black Screen threads we have seen, Windows 10 does not play well with the auto switching systems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a chance, because of the Black Screen threads we have seen, Windows 10 does not play well with the auto switching systems.
I'm pretty sure that you're absolutely right, so.....
Knowing that, wouldn't it be convenient if Dell provided a means of toggling one or the other off and on or back and forth.
Although I think in most cases, most everyone would choose to leave the IGFX off, especially if it was producing the problem.

Ask a Question