Graphics Card Prices...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had my current PC for around 6 years now, with only a handful of minor upgrades in that time (primarily additional storage). I had been toying with the idea of upgrading soon (perhaps once the CPU vulnerability furore has died down)... however I've just taken a look at graphics card prices :eek:.

I'd consider something like an NVIDIA 1060 to be a good mid-range gaming card, ideal for a new build. However, they're selling for £300+, and barely in stock :rolleyes:. Last year, they were closer to half of that price!

At this rate, PC gaming is going to be prohibitively expensive for new purchases o_O.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep...this is due to the influx of Bitcoin mining. It's becoming big business now which has drove the prices up 3 fold. I got my 1060 about six months ago for $199 now the same card is $299 to $349 and mind you it's the low end 1060. Heaven help you if you want a 1080 Ti or Titian.

Reaction score
Depending on your point of view, I got lucky.
I have a two year old Dell laptop. started with a camera failure. With the help of my son, who, until recently, worked with Dell, I received a new camera by delivery. That did not work. Dell then sent me a new motherboard (That pretty much takes care of the whole of a laptop!. That did the trick. It came with a further 3year guarantee. So I now have a two year old Laptop with a guarantee for a while yet.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perhaps when Cryptocurrency crashes, we'll be flooded with really cheap 1080's ;). Although, given how they'll have been running for 24/7, it may not be worth a punt.

I have a two year old Dell laptop. started with a camera failure. With the help of my son, who, until recently, worked with Dell, I received a new camera by delivery. That did not work. Dell then sent me a new motherboard (That pretty much takes care of the whole of a laptop!. That did the trick. It came with a further 3year guarantee. So I now have a two year old Laptop with a guarantee for a while yet.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell warranties, particularly for laptops where it's hard to fix issues oneself. A quick phone call or e-mail, and the new part arrives without much of a delay :). Just a few months ago, they send out a replacement PSU for my laptop (within 24 hours of the problem).

Reaction score
I get a couple of Spam calls a day from Bitcoin reps. I have reason to believe they are "hoe workers". But, as I have tried to explain so many times. With me, they are on a wild goose chase. I just do not have any money to spare - really - none!!

Ask a Question