SOLVED HDMI to TV from Windows 10 desktop, sound problem

Reaction score
I have an HDMI cable connected from a desktop to my TV. This brings the video correctly, but have run RCA cables from back of TV's audio output to Aux. input of Home theater for sound. It has been working fine with some adjustments in settings of Windows 10 to stereo mix so still can use computer speakers. Now the sound is not working. Have checked the settings and nothing has changed. Sony TV is showing in sound settings, set to communications stereo mix. When I send a test to the speakers, the sound is heard on the TV. Do you think it has anything to do with Windows 10 updates and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
Right click the speaker icon on the taskbar and then the playback devices. With the HDMI plug inserted, you should see an option to make this the default. It should say something like HDMI or Digital. If you cannot see such an option, then the fault must be sitting deeper.
Start by opening the device manager and checking what is available under the "Sound, Video and game controllers.
In the more recent Windows 10 updates, MS have introduced , in the settings, a "gaming" section. I have no knowledge of what is entailed with this, but, as your problem has only recently started, I wonder if it could be a setting in there.

Reaction score
"It should say something like HDMI or Digital." On my setup it shows the model name of the TV.

Also, I run the HDMI cable to a spare input on the AVR so I get whatever enhanced sound comes from the source.

T_J

Reaction score
My 2011 Sony TV was replaced with a 2016 Sony TV, due to horizontal lines on upper 1/3 of screen. In case you can't get your method to work, here are 2 methods I've used for Stereo output to a 1980 Pioneer component stereo.

*Sony TV optical out (Toslink) > digital/analog converter > analog input Stereo.
*Sony TV headphone port / RCA splitter cable (a cheap splitter sounds bad) > analog input Stereo.
For the Sony TV - Setup / AV Setup / Headphone - Audio Out / Audio Out.

Sony TVs allow volume adjustment of audio out (works great for my 1980 Pioneer). TV optical out method used because I had a Linux PC VGA cable plugged into the TV and I could not plug in a headphone splitter cable due to closeness of headphone-VGA ports.

Does your Sony TV / sound system function correctly with OTA / Blu-ray / DVD player? My 2011 3D Sony TV (bought in 2012, Amazon) only lasted 4 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My 2011 3D Sony TV (bought in 2012, Amazon) only lasted 4 years.

Sony TV's are my bread and butter. Unfortunately they are all made in China now and not built to last anymore. As many manufacturers they are happy if they just last the warranty. Today's electronics are not made for quality but for quantity. :(
My LG 3D TV is now 5 years old and still running strong but I did not buy at a Discount Store....

SCNR....;);)

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry, I did not get any emails indicating that anyone had replied to me. Is that normal? I thought I would be notified, so I could read them. I kept working on the problem and tried a short HDMI cord from my laptop with the same set up connecting to the TV and Home Theater and everything worked. The 25' HDMI cord was only one month old, so have ordered a new one (different brand) and am returning the defective one to the manufacturer. Grizzly, our Sony TV 46" Bravia XBR was very expensive and was purchased in January 2007, but it really is wonderful. Saw it at a Best Buy and the picture was so clear, we were impressed and decided to spend the money. Still working perfectly. I agree about the quality of the newer models.

Ask a Question