HDMI causes windows to minimize and stay so

Reaction score
Hi
I have Win 10, freshly installed and updated. A Nvidia GTS450 with newest display driver. Two screens: VGA and HDMI (BenQ projector) Everything freshly installed after an automatic update gone wrong (Grr...). Win 10 only works when HDMI is disconnected. If connected, all windows disappear and cannot open. Disconnect the HDMI and everything works OK. Prior to reinstallation this was not a problem. Could freely choose between screens. What to do?/Ole

Reaction score
HI Ole,

what monitor are you using for the HDMI input and have you set the input switch to HDMI on it?. o_O

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks. , but I do not think the links solve my problem. My problem is that as soon as a cable is inserted into the HDMI socket, Windows crashes partly (minimizing everything) So I cannot access screen settings etc. as the control panel is inaccessible. So Windows obviously detects that something should go on and then immediately "crashes" (partly). So the HDMI does something (via the GTS450 videocard) that Windows does detect, but does not like. As video card, projector and cable are the same (in a setup that worked like a charm for years, with previous versions of Win 8 and Win 10), this should be a Windows issue.

Reaction score
Have you tried to connect the HDMI with the other end disconnected or a different cable by chance??
Cables go bad, you know?

Reaction score
Have you tried to connect the HDMI with the other end disconnected or a different cable by chance??
Cables go bad, you know?

Another cable does not do the trick: Cable only no problem, connected to BenQ: Windows "crash".
So when the BenQ says hello, Windows sort of dies. Or...?

Reaction score
I have now booted via Windows 8 and another harddrive, and my problem has disappeared. So it is definitely a Windows 10 problem. Is this a known problem? How can I circumvent it/force Win10 to behave?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the Windows 8 install using the same driver for your GPU as the Windows 10 install?
What is the Model Name and Model number of your BenQ projector?
Does it have other output interfaces?
IF so, have you tried it alone, with a VGA connection only, with no second display on the Windows 10 install?

Reaction score
Is the Windows 8 install using the same driver for your GPU as the Windows 10 install?
What is the Model Name and Model number of your BenQ projector?
Does it have other output interfaces?
IF so, have you tried it alone, with a VGA connection only, with no second display on the Windows 10 install?
I tried to solve the problem in Windows10 by installing the newest driver from Nvidia. In Win8 I had a working picture right away. (But my wireless keyboard is disabled when the HDMI is connected.) My BenQ is a W7500. It has been working perfectly under Win8 and Win10 prior to this forced re-installation + update. What would be the point of connecting via VGA?

Ask a Question