Headphones buzzing noises.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, for some reason when I turn on my computer everything is ok. But after one to three hours, a buzzing noise occurs. This noise is getting worse and worse as time passes. Only when I restart the computer the problem is solved for the next couple of hours and this problem happens over and over again. I don't know what can have caused that. I think it's a driver problem but I have updated and even reinstalled the drivers and the problem doesn't fix. Somebody, please help me.

Reaction score
Hi User321,

sounds like it might be your PSU (power supply unit)?. When it happens again, stick your ear near (but don't touch) the PSU and see if that is the culprit. The high frequency from the PSU may send a signal to your headphones?.

Do you only hear it when you have the headphones on?. Have you checked the headphones plug to make sure it is inserted correctly?.

This is working on the assumption that it is a tower PC and not a laptop/notebook?. ;)

Reaction score
Hopefully not a dying sound chip, which I suspect. The clue to mi thoughts:
Iis noise is getting worse and worse as time passes. Only when I restart the computer the problem is solved for the next couple of hours and this problem happens over and over again.

Reaction score
Hi User321,

sounds like it might be your PSU (power supply unit)?. When it happens again, stick your ear near (but don't touch) the PSU and see if that is the culprit. The high frequency from the PSU may send a signal to your headphones?.

Do you only hear it when you have the headphones on?. Have you checked the headphones plug to make sure it is inserted correctly?.

This is working on the assumption that it is a tower PC and not a laptop/notebook?. ;)
Hello there, I hadn't thought of that. Nice idea. I also want to mention that when it occurs, it happens on every speaker connected. For example, my main headset has a USB to plugin and not a jack. It also happens to my monitor that has speakers and is connected with HDMI to my graphics card. It is also a tower. I will check the PSU as well. Thank you.

Reaction score
it happens on every speaker connected. It also happens to my monitor that has speakers and is connected with HDMI to my graphics card.
Hi User321,

do you have your speakers next to any stereo loudspeakers as they have magnetic coils in them and can also cause feedback?, or are the computer loudspeakers right next to the PC?, if they are, move them away from anything electric!. Are you using both speaker sets at the same time?, that might be another cause of the problem?. :)

Reaction score
Hi User321,

do you have your speakers next to any stereo loudspeakers as they have magnetic coils in them and can also cause feedback?, or are the computer loudspeakers right next to the PC?, if they are, move them away from anything electric!. Are you using both speaker sets at the same time?, that might be another cause of the problem?. :)
Hello again, the only speakers I have are the monitor speakers and my headset. If the problem was that, then it would occur from the beginning. However, the problem occurs as time passes.

Reaction score
I think that it's either a driver problem that fixes after the restart because the drivers are loading again or a motherboard problem. However, I don't think that these are the causes because I have tried to reinstall the drivers via windows 10 updates which made no difference and if the problem was the motherboard then I would have problems with the rest of the USB devices as well. So I think that it's a matter of PSU or something similar that can interact with the audio devices.

Reaction score
Another thought, is your headset in combo with a microphone?, if it is, turn down the volume level of the mic to about 60% and see if that helps!. Often if the mic is set too high, it will cause a problem!. ;)

Reaction score
Another thought, is your headset in combo with a microphone?, if it is, turn down the volume level of the mic to about 60%
Well, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, a microphone is included to my headset. However, I don't think that this is the problem because if I don't restart my computer it will start to act weirdly as well. It will replace my voice with a buzzing noise. But I will make sure to check this solution as well.

Ask a Question