No sound from the headphones or mic

Reaction score
I can't make the headphones to work, it suddenly happened for no apparent reason.
I use realtek that game with mobo (gigabyte z170). it all was perfect and the realtek recognizes the headphones and mic but no sounds to or from the headset.
sound from roft works perfectly.
I checked it with other headsets and used rhis headset with my phone and it works fine.
sound devices.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Spartnanah,

did you click on Headphones in the list shown above?, when using headphones you may need to also set the headphones as "Default Device"?. ;)

Reaction score
I am confused, is it your headphones that don't work or your speakers?. :confused:

Reaction score
Wolfie I am confused also. It is very hard to follow what the poster is talking about when they can not spell properly. Nor can they articulate what the problem is.

Reaction score
I have both headphones and oculus Rift.
In the picture above what you see is the oculus rift counted as headphones and working properly via hdmi and usb 3.

On the other hand, I have regular headset with Audio jack that when I plug it into the desktop I get Realtek app that informs me about the mic and headphones being plugged into the computer. But no sound comes out.
Not when I set it as default device and not when I test it.

Now, the headphones icon in the windows settings appears to be those speakers. But they are, in fact, headphones. This started a few weeks ago for no apparent reason.
Btw, the mic is unresponsive either.

One more thing, when I put test sounds the bar is filled with green lines but no sound

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Spartanah,

do you have a driver disk for your hardware?, it might be wise to find them online if necessary and re-install the drivers and start from scratch?.

It well have been an update which caused the problem and used drivers from the Windows OS itself?. ;)

Reaction score
Hi Spartanah,

do you have a driver disk for your hardware?, it might be wise to find them online if necessary and re-install the drivers and start from scratch?.

It well have been an update which caused the problem and used drivers from the Windows OS itself?. ;)
I doubt I'll find it, is there any online board driver? is it for realtek? because I already updated realtek driver

Reaction score
If you tell us the exact name of the hardware (including model number), we can look online for drivers!. :)

Reaction score
gigabyte ga-z170 hd3 ddr3 is the motherboard
and hyperx cloud stinger are the headphones, although they work fine in other placements.
I reinstalled the realtek audio device that is found here, and clicked the setup in there.
but that sisn't help much...

Reaction score
Greetings~

I'm gonna take a 'shot in the dark' here and suggest something .. it MAY work MAY not ..just something to try

I seen in your Screen shot you have VSX-329 as your 'Default communications device'.. what happens of you DISABLE that .. (if your not using it as a device for sound) and also disable the Realtek Digital Audio Output (again.. if you are not using it as an audio device) ....

I have seen it happen ( on mine specifically, as well as, on other systems) where the system gets 'confused ' and to which one is getting used and when certain things are "enabled' or ' ready' it messes up where the sound is going to ..

Sometimes, it's also application specific.. if its set for one device .. it WILL NOT send output to a diffennt device unless its specified to do so ..

Maybe also if you say which application/program this is happening with that would help as well :)

Keep us posted .
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
You have something showing as a communications device. Make sure you do not have Windows set to mute all sound when it senses communications activities.

A wired headset will, on some systems, cause a popup UI to allow selection of that headphone. If it has not been selected in that popup, it may not transfer over the sound. I know Dell systems use Waves MaxxAudio for such a popup but I do not know what your motherboard uses..

The wired microphone is another topic and maybe should wait until you get the headphone working.

Reaction score
Your NVIDIA is not plugged in. My computer starts up with Realtek high definition, but wont play sound to my headphones. They're wireless headphones connected via charging station to WS HD TV, they use HDMI connection via AMD high definition audio / video. The computer starts up with BIOS defaults - Realtek, I put on my headphones and restart - AMD HDMI hi def audio. You will need to check the audio drivers you need are up to date.

Reaction score
I've tried that already... nothing
Then completely remove the hardware devices and re-install them on a reboot, assuming you have the latest drivers installed now, it should find them on the re-install?. :)

Ask a Question