SOLVED Audio Jack/headphones no sound Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a trouble with the audio jack on my laptop, and basically there is no sound coming out of headphones when they're plugged in. When I plug in headphones, I get the notification telling me something was inserted into the audio jack, but that's about it; no sound comes through the headphones, but its also stops coming through the normal speakers. "Headphones" also does not show up in the list of playback devices in "Sound" in the Control Panel. I've already tried uninstalling the sound drivers and re downloading/installing manually, which didn't help.

Relevant information:
Windows 10 64 bit
Realtek HD Audio
Sound Blaster X-FI MB3

Not sure where to go from here. I'm sure the headphones work, and I've tried several. I guess it could be a hardware problem with the actual jack, but I'm really hoping its not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have what I assume is a very similar if not exactly the same configuration.

Screenshot (1).png

I have made no special adjustments to the configuration outside of those automatically configured as default.
When I open the Sound Blaster utility and select my Headphones from the drop down menu and click the test button they seem to work perfectly.
As you noted, they do not appear independently as a playback device in the native Windows Sound utility, and by default the Realtek HD Audio Manager will mute the rear audio output when a front panel device (headset / headphones) is detected.
Capture.PNG

You may want to experiment with the default audio format and choose a different sampling rate to see if that has any effect on your problem.

Reaction score
Thanks for the in depth response. When I plugged in my headphones to tinker like you suggested, they worked somehow, I didn't have to do anything. Weird.

Unfortunately, when I was trying to fix the problem yesterday, I uninstalled Sound Blaster, and have not found a way to re download it yet since it came pre-installed on my computer. Ugh

Thanks again for the help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both the SB and Realtek software came on my motherboard CD.
Perhaps you received something similar with your computer?

Reaction score
Thanks! Making progress. I found the CD which had all the drivers and utilities and was able to re download the sound blaster software. However its not working, as Sound Blaster is giving me the message that "there is no supported audio device available." (The headphone jack is still working which is awesome).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I actually had to install the Realtek software package first and then install the Sound Blaster software afterwards..
Sorry I didn't mention that method in my original post.
You may have to install it if you have it installed already and go in that order.

Ask a Question