Problems with sound when using headphones

Reaction score
Since buying a new laptop and updating to windows 10 I have had a problem with the sound, the problem being that when I plug in a set of headphones I manually have to go on playback devices to set my headphones as default and also on the volume mixer to select my headphones on the drop down arrow or else the sound will keep coming out of my speakers. Basically it is not doing anything automatically, so everytime I plug in headphones, or connect to the tv I have to change everything manually, and do the same thing when disconnecting or else there will be no sound atall.

I did read on the internet that by plugging in my headphones and then making them my default sounds device would work because it is supposed to automatically change when they are unplugged but unfortunately this is not the case for me. Also I am curious as to why even when I don't have my headphones plugged in, they are still listed under playback, but it does not say they are unplugged. I would appreciate anybody who can help me with this problem because I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks in advance

Reaction score
Providing some system information may be helpful. Such things as computer model and type of Audio component and headset model will allow users to do some research.

Do you just have the one plug for the headphones on the laptop? The newer systems may have go to some type of electronic switch where the older ones were a mechanical connection. The audio control panel may have options regarding the audio ports.

Reaction score
Providing some system information may be helpful. Such things as computer model and type of Audio component and headset model will allow users to do some research.

Do you just have the one plug for the headphones on the laptop? The newer systems may have go to some type of electronic switch where the older ones were a mechanical connection. The audio control panel may have options regarding the audio ports.

My laptop is a Cube Chameleon CZ-5850, Intel® Core™ i5-4210M Haswell Dual Core with VIA HD audio integrated sound. The headphones im using are just Sony MDRZX600 Headphones, but the problem persists no matter what im trying to use.

I have just the phone headphone jack, and then the microphone jack, im not aware of any switch or anything for it.

Kind regards
Chris

Reaction score
If the system doesn't use the mechanical switch in the Headphone plug it may have some software related setting. Does the Via have its own control panel?

When you have the headphones plugged in how do they show in the Playback Devices window...? Do they show as a headset with a phone icon or no icon at all? My headphones don't show so the speakers are still set as default and the level is showing on that device.

headphones.JPG

Ask a Question