Where are the Theme Transparency Settings?

Reaction score
I am in the process of migrating from W7 Pro to W10 Pro and I can't seem to find where/how to enable the theme transparency.

Without it Windows 10 feels like Windows 3.1! Could someone tell me where exactly is the setting or if I need to download a special theme? I suspect this is theme related because I tried every setting menu and nothing resembles transparency.

Here are some screenshots illustrating the Windows 7 Theme x Windows 10 Theme:

W7_01.JPG

W10_01.jpg

W7.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi,

there are several vids on YT about the matter, it means playing with the registry in the vid below, check out any more you find there!. :) :) :)

Reaction score
Hi,

there are several vids on YT about the matter, it means playing with the registry in the vid below, check out any more you find there!. :) :) :)

Wolfie,

The link you posted was to make the entire window transparent, which is not my goal. I am looking solely for the Windows 7 Aero features, which controls the taskbar and menu borders.

I tried another video which I created a registry entry for transparency, but it didn't deliver the results.

Is this feature really no longer part of Windows? Why do I need to tweak the registry for this?

Reaction score
Hi OS,

I really don't know as it is never something that worried me!. There are plenty of themes on the web that most likely offer what you seek, you may have to pay for it as I really cannot say what approach you should take?. ;)

You can take a look at the themes available in the MS Store too. Like I said, you may have to pay for some of them!. :)

1594042430331.png

Reaction score
First, use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + R and type: regedit and hit Enter or click OK.

run

Next, navigate to the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT _USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize

Personalize-path.png

From there, double click on EnableTransparency and change its value from 1 to 0 and click OK.

registry

No restart is required. In fact, after changing the value to zero hit the Windows Key and you’ll see the difference. If you’re not a fan of the look just change the EnableTransparency key back to a value of one.

Here is what the default transparency looks like:

Before-regedit.png

And here it is after changing the registry value — much more transparent:

after-regedit.png

Increase the Transparency of the Windows 10 Taskbar
If you want to change the transparency of the Taskbar, head to the following path in the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

1-2.png

Now you need to create a new DWORD 32-bit value and name it UseOLEDTaskbarTransparency and give it a value of 1.

3.png

To force the change, go to Settings > Personalization > Colors and toggle the Make Start, taskbar and action center transparent switch off and back on again.

Settings

Here’s what it looks like by default:

sshot-1-5.png

And here is what to expect after making the changes to the Registry:

sshot-2-6.png

Reaction score
hi,

why not just run a vm running windows 7 and add a shared folder then, go into the themes folder (where ever that is) and take the aero theme and put it in the shared folder and then put it in the windows 10 themes folder?

Ask a Question