SOLVED Hidden Files & Folders

Reaction score
Hi

I recently had to install a clean copy of Windows 10 (Windows 10 Pro ver. 1903) and am having problems with displaying hidden files and folders.

Opening the Options tab under File Explorer and selecting View in Folder Options, I see that neiththe the Don't show hidden file and folders or Show hidden files, folders and drives are checked which I find unusual. Surely one of these should be checked.

Anyway, checking the show button, then Apply, then OK should activate that option. However, exiting Fiile Explorer, then re-entering the view options again shows neither button to be checked.

Browsing the internet for solutions, I tried a few, none of which had any effect. Even checking the Registry under HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL shows the Checked Value to be (1) which I believe is the correct value.

Something appears to be preventing the selection.

Is there a solution to this issue ?

Many thanks

Ron

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just wanting to clarify your post first.

If in File Explorer you are referring to what you see in the Ribbon as illustrated below:

1577910909543.png

This is the default for Windows 10 ( i.e. no boxes are checked here by default )

If you mean the Folder Options dialog as illustrated below:

1577911011186.png

The default in Windows 10 is that the Don't show hidden files, folders , or drives is checked.

Can you clarify which of the above two you are having issues with please.

Reaction score
Regedit32

My apologies. I thought I was being clear in my posting.

I was referring to the Folder Options - your second example above, which I reached by clicking the Options icon under the view menu in File Explorer, shown in your first example above.

I referred to the fact that neither the Don't show hidden files and folders or the Show hidden file and folders have their buttons checked which I find unusual. I agree that the default is the former, however neither button is checked in my version of Windows.

I can place a check mark in either button space according to my selection, select Apply then OK and exit, however when re-entering the Folder Options the check mark has been cleared. Something appears to be cancelling or nullifiying my action.

The fact that no default button is initially checked combined with the fact that no selection can be saved indicates a problem I I have no answer to.

Ron

Regedit32

Reaction score
You mentioned you had to reinstall Windows 10 recently.

Is this because you had a Virus on the computer?

If the answer to that is yes, you may need to do another scan of your computer to be sure there is no rootkits present.

Norton provides a free standalone tool called Norton Power Eraser, which does not install on the computer, but instead runs a thorough scan of all startup items, key Windows files that are often targeted by malware, and also does a rootkit scan. Once, its done, you can simply delete the downloaded file, as its constantly being updated, so attempting to run it again another day will result in a warning to download the latest build anyway.

You can grab that tool here:

Note: As it does not require installing its perfectly safe to run this tool without it affecting any other security programs you do have installed, as it will not change the Registry to disable them.

It does the initial scan while you are signed in, then restarts the computer to scan for rootkits and also the startup files. Typically this scan takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If it is not a Virus issue, then you either have pending updates that have not yet installed, or something has affected your System files.

From an elevated command prompt ( Run Command Prompt as Administrator ) you could run a System File Check using the command:

sfc /scannow

If there is an issue discovered, repeat this same command 2 to 3 times in a row, as Windows often cannot fix all issues with one scan.

Reaction score
Regedit32

Uncertain of what caused the problem, I followed your advice and scanned the computer using both of your reccommendations.

The problem has now been resolved with Don't show hidden files and folders being checked as default when gaining access to the Folder Options through File Explorer.

I am also able to change this to the show option and save, so may I sincerely thank you for your help.

Ron

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Ron.

Glad things are back to normal for you.

Ask a Question