SOLVED Snipping tool saves files hidden by default

Reaction score
I recently performed a reset on my PC. The Windows accessory snipping tool now saves files as hidden by default, no matter where I save them. This problem also occurs intermittently with Save As. Before the reset, the snipping tool did not hide saved files by default. I read that this problem occurs with McAfee antivirus software, but I use Windows Defender. Files are saved as unhidden if I bring them into Paint or Paint.net, make a change, and re-save them. I have set system files and folders to be visible. Still, how do I configure the snipping tool to save unhidden files by default?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you checked the properties of the folder your Snipping Tool is saving captures to?

The default location is Pictures folder for the current logged in User.

If you right-click on the folder you are saving files to and select Properties, check the attributes for that folder under the General tab. If Hidden is checked, remove the check mark and click OK.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There is a bug being reviewed via the Insider Program which Microsoft are working on a permanent fix for.

In that scenario apps saving files to desktop work, but the saved file cannot been seen until you refresh (F5) the desktop, or for some users their File Explorer.

If your symptoms mimic this then its a case for now of sit and wait for a Build update.

Reaction score
If your symptoms mimic this then its a case for now of sit and wait for a Build update.
Yup. Exactly my problem. Thanks. The F5 does, though, save a lot of time.

Reaction score
This past weekend I upgraded to Version 1607, OS Build 14393.187, the anniversary build, and the snipping tool problem is back. Snipping tool is saving files to my desktop, where I want them saved, but they are hidden again. This time, F5 doesn't work. The files don't appear on the desktop, but in File Explorer, they are there. Anyone have a solution to this problem--again? Thanks.

Reaction score
Well, if you right-click on the Desktop and choose refresh there, it works. I just verified it on my system. Same build as yours.

Ask a Question