What happens to the original snip after clicking ''new'' in windows 10's Snipping Tool?

Reaction score
It appears to do the same as PrntScrn, saves to the Clipboard but overwrites a previous save. The biggest advantage is being able to directly Paste into this Forum or a program, even Save without having to open Paint or other graphics editor. Microsoft Office 2007 and later have a different clipboard, can save more than one clip.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just used the snipping tool to make three quick snips, without saving any.
Opened Microsoft Word 2016 (365 suite) opened the clipboard in word and found that evidently there is a shared history as all three clips were available.

Reaction score
I get the same experience as Bighorn. I can only make one clip. A subsequent clip overwrites (deletes) the previous one.
I am not using 365, but, certainly, nothing appears in Word 2016.
fwiw. I can only make on clip without saving. I guess we all have different combinations of settings. If I do NOT save, I am unable to make another snip.
I am not on the insider track, currently, but I understand they have reintroduced a useable clipboard which might take care of this?
I use a third party tool (snagit) which does allow the user to view and edit several snips. There are quite a few third party offers, some free.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Tried it again on this thread.
Made 3 quick snips with the snipping tool.
Clicking new after each and closing the snipping tool without saving any.
Opened Microsoft Word.
Opened the Word clipboard
found the three snips on the left as seen in the attachment and pasted them into the document.
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...lipboard-714a72af-1ad4-450f-8708-c2931e73ec8a

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Got me there!
Maybe a feature of 365? Either I cannot see it or it doesn't exist in the desktop Word??
I dont use the cloud feature either. That could be associated with it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think, the point is, or at least should be, with regards to the OP's question
The snips are indeed saved to the clipboard and are kept in clipboard history until the computer is rebooted, much the same as it has been since the days of XP, where we actually had a clipboard history viewer built in to the OS.
Now we have to rely on other means, I just happen to use the Office clipboard, while others might find a third party utility for viewing clipboard history a better choice.

Ask a Question