SOLVED Snipping tool problem

Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone tell me why when I open the snipping tool and click on "new" my screen goes gray and there is nothing there.
Thank you.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
How to use snipping tool for Dummies, a comprehensive 500 page manual, only $14.99

Seriously now. That is default pretty much. You are suppose to select an area to snip, the grey is a mask. You can chnage what to capture, delays, pen colors etc.

See
snip.gif

For more information goto https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Reaction score
I fully understand the way it operates. My problem is that when the screen goes gray you cannot see anything underneath the mask to snip. I have been using it now for the past year and had no problems until now.
Thank you.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Could you duplicate that and then press printscreen open paint an d press ctrl+v save that result and attach to your reply.

thx.

Reaction score
The only thing I notice is in the options there is a "Show Screen Overlay" selection.. What does you have selected.

Is your Clipboard working normally? Can you open Paint and paste whatever is on the clipboard?

Reaction score
Could you duplicate that and then press printscreen open paint an d press ctrl+v save that result and attach to your reply.

thx.
Cannot do what you ask as the whole screen is gray and cannot access anything.

Reaction score
The only thing I notice is in the options there is a "Show Screen Overlay" selection.. What does you have selected.

Is your Clipboard working normally? Can you open Paint and paste whatever is on the clipboard?
Appears to be working ok. "show screen overlay' is checked under options.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I still dont know what issue is, I understand your explanation, but without seeing what you see, is even harder to try to help.

Reaction score
Finally figured it out. My bank security software was shutting down the window and would not allow me to take any snips.
Thank you for your help it was appreciated.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out.

Feel free to mark thread solved, and enjoy your Saturday.

HiB

Reaction score
Hi, bumping this one again. Have a similar issue (maybe the same hard to tell).
Attached full screen capture using rectangle tool.
upload_2018-4-10_15-11-45.png

HiB

Reaction score
Funny things is all that white is actually black in my snip, and I don't have Bank Id or similar on my PC.

Reaction score
How did you fix this issue? I just installed bank security software last week, and now I'm having the exact same problem today.

Thanks!

HiB

Reaction score
How did you fix this issue? I just installed bank security software last week, and now I'm having the exact same problem today.

Thanks!

Still not solved, it seems to be related to Windows window mgmt when using multiple screens in various setups. Still clueless I'm afraid.

HiB

Reaction score

Thanks!

Well bank security software disables the possibility to take screenshots, for security.

I did on the other hand solve the problem I had with not being able to capture the screen as intended.
This by resetting graphic drivers with key combo WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B
Unfortunately this also reset the order of my screens and problem comes back after I rearrange them.
So semi-solved at least.

Ask a Question