High GPU when outside games

Reaction score
I have an issue, so please help me. my games are using 100% of the GPU according to Task Manager, causing the FPS to become stuck at 100-103 fps. This issue occurs I spend time outside games, such as when I'm browsing the internet or using Discord. Strangely, the problem doesn't occur while I'm in-game. For instance, if I close a game and use Google for a while, then reopen a game, suddenly the GPU usage spikes. The only solution I've found so far is to restart my laptop.
It's been happening for months, and constantly restarting my laptop to fix it is becoming rather annoying.

DanTheShield

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @nickcornakirasergue2

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the high GPU usage when not gaming:
  1. Update GPU Drivers:
    • Go to your GPU manufacturer's website (NVIDIA, AMD, Intel) and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.
    • Install the drivers and restart your computer.
  2. Check for Background Processes:
    • Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and look for any unusual processes using the GPU. Sometimes background applications or browser extensions can cause high GPU usage.
    • End any processes you don’t recognize or don’t need running.
  3. Adjust Power Settings:
    • Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings.
    • Select "High performance" or "Balanced" and then click on "Change plan settings."
    • Click on "Change advanced power settings" and set your GPU to "Maximum performance" in both "On battery" and "Plugged in" modes.
  4. Disable Hardware Acceleration:
    • In Chrome or Edge:
      • Open the browser, go to Settings > Advanced > System.
      • Turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available."
    • In Discord:
      • Open Discord, go to User Settings > Appearance.
      • Turn off "Hardware Acceleration."
  5. Scan for Malware:
    • Run a full system scan with Windows Defender or your preferred antivirus software to ensure no malware is causing the high GPU usage.
  6. Update Windows:
    • Make sure your system is fully updated. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates.
  7. Check for Windows Update Issues:
    • Sometimes a Windows update can cause issues with GPU usage. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View update history.
    • If there was a recent update before the issue started, you might consider uninstalling that update to see if it resolves the problem.
Try these steps and see if they help reduce your GPU usage when outside of games. Let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance!

Ask a Question