High battery drain while in sleep mode

Reaction score
Hi, I left the laptop with charge at 75% and after about 12h in sleep mode it was 20% !

I see this is quite a common issue with ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1, but also with other brands/models.

I don't know how to turn off the option of USB always on, and more importantly, will I still be able to charge the laptop by the USB-C port if the feature is turned off ?

Thank you very much.

Reaction score
in device manger right click on the actual device of network adapters or displays or other devices the computer may be able to put to sleep and move to properties and power management then check the allow this computer to turn off this device.

Reaction score
Should read Untick the square!
1634963379153.png

Reaction score
Sorry. I added more, but it vanished when I posted a reply (using mu mobile). What I added was that the usb port is not using any power, if there are no busy devices attached - particularly in sleep mode. Could be wrong. The only devices I use are self powered
Later.
Just been chatting on the Microsoft help pages, as this subject caught my interest. General opinion is that the power usage, but this can be dependant on how many indicator lights you have on your peripherals.

Popular solution, which I would not care to do, is to put the computer into hibernate mode instead of sleep mode.??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fast power drain in sleep mode and crashes while resuming are often caused by Connected Standby. To disable Connected Standby, open Command Prompt as administrator and paste powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0 && powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0 exactly.

Reaction score
Sorry. I added more, but it vanished when I posted a reply (using mu mobile). What I added was that the usb port is not using any power, if there are no busy devices attached - particularly in sleep mode. Could be wrong. The only devices I use are self powered
Later.
Just been chatting on the Microsoft help pages, as this subject caught my interest. General opinion is that the power usage, but this can be dependant on how many indicator lights you have on your peripherals.

Popular solution, which I would not care to do, is to put the computer into hibernate mode instead of sleep mode.??
I'd like to go Hibernate, but it eats 32GB of SSD as default.

Reaction score
You have 32 GB of memory? Even if there's a large amount of memory, Windows checks the previous hiberfil.sys for similarity to the current memory contents, and only writes what has changed. I tested by watching the Total Host Writes on an SSD only increase by 2 GB when there was 4 to 6 GB in use. The file size of hiberfil.sys doesn't equal the amount written every time.

Ask a Question