CPU usage too high warning

Reaction score
the last few weeks i have been getting this message cpu ratio to high. so i opened the task manager and the only thing running during startup is chrome and it had 23 listings so i closed a few things i had opening up at startup and that went down to 14. i have at the bottom taskbar the chrome the folders the explore email and now task manage pined and along the top now i have my yahoo mail tab ebay tab plus this tab for this forum and i still have 15 chrome lines.

why is it chrome has so many listing going on. i do not remember in years past that when i had task manager open that i would have so many listings open for a browser. why does chrome use so much of the resources ? i have some of the recommended by window and chrome extensions going so i expect they use some of them. but i just went in and turned off every estention and i still have 12 chrome lines showing.

so is there a good safe browser anymre that does not sue so much of the computers cpu? before i had some issues with the pc being sluggish and the spelling correction did not work after i had to reinstall windos10 and got the enterprise version. so i install another hard drive after multiple tries to get back the pro version and faild, then with a new hard drive i got the pro version. the old drive just would not drop enterprise.

but i still have a bit of pc lag in doing writing in forums and emails. and ecerytime i start my pc in the morning i now get that cpu ratio warning. so i opened taxk manager and see 29 lines of chrome running. and during startup the cpu gots to 100% and shortly after it drops down to 25% an less now it sets at 5% and most of the time it is around 10%.

so does anyone know why chrome has to have so many lines int he task manager going. and maybe should i go back the another borwser? i used to use firefox but then lot of talk telling that browser was bad and explorer some say os bad.

windows had me install chrome Browser WatchDog for Chrome , App Runtime for Chrome (Beta) still running will not let me turn it off, Norton Safe Web Securify for Chrome™ , Web Protection for Chrome™ and i had these going, Radar-Snap , Adblock Plus - free ad blocker , HP Smart Print , Pop up blocker for Chrome™ - Poper Blocker , and some more but after i turned them off nothing changed in task manager for the chrome lines.

chrome also told me to add some of these extentions, so are they really needed and why does chrome have so many lines inthe task manager? thanks for any ideas.

Reaction score
First of all I would go to my Startup settings and eliminate all but the very basic ones, which btw aren't too many. I have my Google Chrome set to manual for updates so I can select when to update.
Secondly I would watch out for Chrome telling me I need any kind of Extension...that is not normal. And...beware of some Extensions they are NOT what they say they are. Personally I would get rid of all types of Extensions and stick with uBlock Origin as my main one along with Youtube Ad Blocker..you really don't need any more than those two.

Reaction score
does that ublock work in chrome? i found that chrome opens a ton of uses for memory. then i tried firefox and that did the same thing. i do not have anything running for startup i have windows security notifications and classic start menu running. in processes chrome has 27 things going on and using 2.8% i have not seen that notice about memory now for some time so maybe what ever was causing it went away. might have been some virus as after i asked this question i ran some deep scans. i have adblock popup and chromes browser watchdog running for extensions now.

thanks

Reaction score
Yes uBlock Origin works on all browsers ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm )
it is one of the best out there.
I found that I have 17 Chrome.exe processes running in Task Manager but I have set my Google Updates to Manual mode.
I use Classic Shell also an like it a lot.
If it were me I would disable all extensions and put uBlock Origin and YoutubAdBlock on and be done with it...
also for peace of mind try Hitman Pro 30 day free trial and run a deep scan...I found once that a game anti-cheat program was causing me malware issues and the PC would auto-reboot on it's own trying to do things..found it by using that free trial of Hitman Pro...another good free program is Rogue Killer
One more thing if you feel like you're having other issues go to bleepingcomputer those people are very good at getting things right and they do it out of the goodness of their hearts...which means it doesn't cost a dime......good luck amigo.

Reaction score
does that ublock work in chrome? i found that chrome opens a ton of uses for memory. then i tried firefox and that did the same thing. i do not have anything running for startup i have windows security notifications and classic start menu running. in processes chrome has 27 things going on and using 2.8% i have not seen that notice about memory now for some time so maybe what ever was causing it went away. might have been some virus as after i asked this question i ran some deep scans. i have adblock popup and chromes browser watchdog running for extensions now.

thanks
Most modern browsers open more than one instance. That's to prevent a tab or an extension from crashing the entire browser. uBlock Origin runs on all the major browsers, including both Edge browser. I would recommend uBlock Origin over uBlock.

Reaction score
in doing research it looks like adblock is the program that came out of ublock origin. so the way it is told ublock was first then adblock evolved from that one thanks

Reaction score
seems they always find a way around this stuff. so let me try the other one and see if it does any better. so what one is better the chrome or the win 10 extention?

thanks

Reaction score
I've been using uBlock Origin for years. It works the best in my opinion. But make sure you download uBlock "Origin, not uBlock. uBlock Origin was created by the same guy that created uBlock. He handed the project over to new devs, but wasn't happy with what they did to it.

Reaction score
yes but when i did a search i found one for win10 and for chrome. i use chrome for a browser so i think one for chrome but want to make sure before i install the wrong one thanks

Reaction score
ok thanks i took adblock off and yahoo wider mail as that one just is not doing the job, and i turned off popup blocker as that is not doing anything anymore. it seem i get more popups with it on than off. i report them and then the site i reported seems to have more the next time i visit it. it is getting so bad that you have to surrender to minutes of closing popups before you can do what you wanted to do on that site. now i will run this ublock and see ho it does and then let you know if i think it is better for me or not.

so today i get a brand new notice that edge has a new look and it tried to hijack my browser. i had to go ina nd tell chrome that chrome was my main browser. i even closed the quick launch and it came back so now to figure this out. what next.

thanks

Reaction score
You asked for an alternative to Chrome. Here it is.
DuckDuckGo is a new (ish) search engine that majors on privacy. It does not collect data from any of its users meaning that all searches you conduct through their search engine are anonymous. It was actually launched back in 2008, but in the past 4 years its popularity has been growing exponentially, hitting over 10 million searches a day in 2015 and currently averaging about 12 million a day, though this is still minuscule compared to Google’s stats.

There are various reasons why you might want to hide your personal details, (and not just because you might be up to no good), the proliferation of cookies tracking you for advertising purposes being just one.

Reaction score
not sure i want to move to a browser that then requires me to have a ton of security programs running. then i'm back in the same boat. i went thru that before. if i see a lot of good reviews here from others saying that is a safe and good browser then i may give it a go. thanks

Reaction score
You asked for an alternative to Chrome. Here it is.
DuckDuckGo is a new (ish) search engine that majors on privacy. It does not collect data from any of its users meaning that all searches you conduct through their search engine are anonymous. It was actually launched back in 2008, but in the past 4 years its popularity has been growing exponentially, hitting over 10 million searches a day in 2015 and currently averaging about 12 million a day, though this is still minuscule compared to Google’s stats.

There are various reasons why you might want to hide your personal details, (and not just because you might be up to no good), the proliferation of cookies tracking you for advertising purposes being just one.

ok i put ublock origin ext on mp pc using the chrome browser and so far it is looking good. the popups and add have went way down. it must be that adblock is getting paid to show some adds now. it use to do a much better job. knock on wood now before i say so far i have not seen many of the adds from ebay along the top of the email main message box. lets see how long this lasts. so all i have running for extentions is popup for chrome and ublock for chrome. lets see how this goes. also in my yahoo mail along the right sidebar i noticed those adds have vanished. so now that i have said this they will return. thanks for that info on ublock.

Reaction score
ok i have been using ublock now for about a week and it's back. the box on top of the main message is back and it was the same add for all of ebays saved searches. for s/g i clicked it ans ublock blocked it and gave me a message about peter lowes see att. but ublock did not remove it form the email so somehow ebay is sending this or that peter lowes is sending it or yahoo is grabbing it somehow and inserting it.

so maybe there is another way to get rid of those. see the ebay email and that add in top is what i'm complaining about. see how it block 1/3 to 1/2 of the main eamil. yea i can just scroll down but then i waste time as i then have to scroll to see what i may or may not want to keep going with. besides i hate getting these as for the most part they ahve nothing to do with anything i did while on ebay. thanks

Attachments

• ublock-1.jpg
    ublock-1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 177
  • ebay add on top of mail-2.jpg
    ebay add on top of mail-2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 197
Reaction score
I'd suggest downloading and running adwcleaner and malwarebytes free and see if you have some rogue app or extension redirecting and injecting these ads. It isn't normal behavior.

Ask a Question