SOLVED Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) High CPU usage?

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm having an issue with my computer and I just can't seem to figure it out nor know who to ask about it, so I thought here might be a good place to start.

Here's my issue a few days ago I started noticing my computer beginning to lag randomly while surfing the web or playing games. So after looking in the task manager under processes I saw this.
Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) with only one subtab that says Windows Audio.
problems.PNG

The process uses anywhere from 20% to 50% cpu and lasts for about 5 or 10 minutes then goes away. Only to come back 5 or 10 minutes later, and has been happening consistently for the past 4 or 5 days.

I have tried several solutions like virus scans, malware scans, reinstalling audio drivers. As well as some other solutions like disabling Superfetch. All with no success.

Please if anyone could help. This is starting to drive me insane. I don't ever post on computer forums so if I'm forgetting or missing any important information let me know.

PC specs.
msi Z170 mobo
i5-6600k (overclocked)
16 gb dd4 ram
2 sli gtx 970's (thought nvidia drivers might be the issue as well)
2 500gb ssd
Win 10 pro

Reaction score
looks like the process "Windows audio", namely the service Audiosrv is running up. This has two dependencies:
1. RPC (Remote Procedure Call)
2. Audio End point builder

Why it does use so much CPU, I do not know. It is however a Windows process, meaning a system process. You could stop the service and see what happens (it is set to automatic anyway)...

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm having an issue with my computer and I just can't seem to figure it out nor know who to ask about it, so I thought here might be a good place to start.

Here's my issue a few days ago I started noticing my computer beginning to lag randomly while surfing the web or playing games. So after looking in the task manager under processes I saw this.
Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) with only one subtab that says Windows Audio. View attachment 4692

The process uses anywhere from 20% to 50% cpu and lasts for about 5 or 10 minutes then goes away. Only to come back 5 or 10 minutes later, and has been happening consistently for the past 4 or 5 days.

I have tried several solutions like virus scans, malware scans, reinstalling audio drivers. As well as some other solutions like disabling Superfetch. All with no success.

Please if anyone could help. This is starting to drive me insane. I don't ever post on computer forums so if I'm forgetting or missing any important information let me know.

PC specs.
msi Z170 mobo
i5-6600k (overclocked)
16 gb dd4 ram
2 sli gtx 970's (thought nvidia drivers might be the issue as well)
2 500gb ssd
Win 10 pro

Wes,

I am former Network Engineer with over 21 years of experience. I beta test anything I can get my hands on, so I've seen a lot of crazy things, but this issue is as you said is insanity inducing for sure!

I know, because I have the EXACT same issue.

I am using a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, but I'm part of the "Insider Preview" so my actual version is:

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
Build 15031.rs2_release.170204-1546

I am actually using an UP-Board, here's the specs:

CPU: Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8350 Processor (2M Cache, 1.92 GHz) CPU with 64 bit architecture; Quad Core CPU
RAM: 4GB DDR3L-1600
Graphics: Intel® HD 400 Graphics ,12 EU GEN 8
Hard Drive: 64GB eMMC (integrated on-board storage)
Network: 1x Gb Ethernet RJ-45 (full speed over 1xPCI-e) (integrated on-board)
USB: 4x USB2.0 on connector; 2x USB2.0 pin header (10 pins in total), 1 x USB 3.0 OTG

So as you can see, even though it's an SBC, it can easily handle Windows 10 Pro without lag. For example before this started, I was running Steam & play Kerbal Space Program with the settings set to max without issue.

I wiped it clean, reinstalled from a fresh download of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft (I bought a full license for the system when I bought it). The same issue is still there & has been before I even installed anything else after Windows was finished installing. I've updated everything, I use iolo System Mechanic Pro & after it completed optimizing it shows no issues, ran a complete virus scan & even installed Process Lasso, but the ONLY thing that fixes it is to disable the Windows Audio Service. The only problem with that is, you lose ALL sound & to me that is NOT a fix.

I'm at a loss too my friend! It's driving me so dang crazy, it's starting to make my ex-wife look reasonable.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. After hours of internet searching and downloading and reinstalling drivers nothing had worked. So I ended up having to do a system restore. Unfortunately I lost a bit stuff but most of it was saved and everything is working now. But thanks for the responses anyway :D

Ask a Question