Need to Keep Service From Stopping

Reaction score
The Smartcard service keeps stopping on our Win 10 virtual clients (ver 1703), which prevents us from logging in with our smartcards. Even if we set the service to manual, and start the service, the service still stops after about 2 minutes (making smartcard authentication impossible). We need to keep (force) the smartcard service to stay running and not stop. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks

John

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi John,

Within the service properties panel, you should be able to click the "recovery" tab and select "restart the service" for the 1st/2nd/subsequent failures. I use this same method to ensure that services run 24/7 on some PCs, even if they crash. If you need more details or a screenshot, just let me know and I'll be pleased to help.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and input. Unfortunately, once the service stops, a restart of the service does not help. We actually have to pull the SmartCard and put back in the reader each time we go into screen lock. We have tried various methods of restarting the SmartCard service, and it does not help our predicament. We are hoping to learn a way to keep the service running - or more accurately, keep the OS from turning off the service. I would have thought setting the service to manual, or turning off the trigger start would do the trick- but no luck. Thanks for any ideas...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the service is like any other application - in that if it crashes, there's no stopping it.

Could you please check Event Viewer and have a look up the details for when the service crashes/stops and see what additional information it gives you. It should have some extended details on why it crashes, which may mean we can stop it from happening in the first place :).

What model smart card kit have you got?

Ask a Question