High ping with ethernet

Reaction score
When I do a speedtest on my PC the ping is 40 - 47 ms but when i do it on my other devices the ping comes out in a 6 or 7 ms, therefore I have a slow response when playing Fornite or other games, does anybody knows if it is a hardware or software problem? I am using Windows 10 v 20H2

Reaction score
How is your PC connected to the router? Ethernet or Wifi?
Wifi usually has a higher latency than ethernet.
either way, you might want to check for updated drivers although the latest version is not always the best...

Reaction score
How is your PC connected to the router? Ethernet or Wifi?
Wifi usually has a higher latency than ethernet.
either way, you might want to check for updated drivers although the latest version is not always the best...
It's connected via ethernet. As for the drivers when i went to download one i got a message saying that i already had the best ones installed. Either way I'll attach a photo of the ones available, is there any your recommend to solve the issue?

Reaction score
the other devices are connected with ethernet also?? If so, can you connect the "slow" one in their place?? Just want to see, if it maybe the cable or the router port. A lot of things can influence the speed.

Reaction score
the other devices are connected with ethernet also?? If so, can you connect the "slow" one in their place?? Just want to see, if it maybe the cable or the router port. A lot of things can influence the speed.
The weird thing is that the other devices are not connected via ethernet they're connected via wifi, so then I tried wifi on my PC and it still said that the ping was 40-47ms.

Reaction score
The weird thing is that the other devices are not connected via ethernet they're connected via wifi, so then I tried wifi on my PC and it still said that the ping was 40-47ms.
That rules out the ethernet cable and the network card. Have you tried the Internet and network troubleshooter yet?? you find that in the firewall settings of the Windows defender.
out of curiosity: which Antivirus software are you using on this pc?

Reaction score
Are you pinging the router? That should give a ping of just 2ms or even less. My ASUS router on ethernet returns a value of 2ms

If that is good then try another PC on your internal network.

Reaction score
Are you pinging the router? That should give a ping of just 2ms or even less. My ASUS router on ethernet returns a value of 2ms

If that is good then try another PC on your internal network.
Yes I am pinging my router. As for trying with another PC, I used my laptop and it gives me a value of 6 ms via wifi, which is weird because on my pc I use ethernet.

Reaction score
That rules out the ethernet cable and the network card. Have you tried the Internet and network troubleshooter yet?? you find that in the firewall settings of the Windows defender.
out of curiosity: which Antivirus software are you using on this pc?
How do I run a troubleshoot? And as for my antivirus is McAfee.

Reaction score
Yes I am pinging my router. As for trying with another PC, I used my laptop and it gives me a value of 6 ms via wifi, which is weird because on my pc I use ethernet.
6ms via wifi is ok. There is a lot of processing involved in Wifi processing.

Reaction score
6ms via wifi is ok. There is a lot of processing involved in Wifi processing.
Yeah the problem is that the PC that I use for gaming gives me a value of 40 ms for some reason, even though I'm using ethernet. My laptop is the one that gives me 6 ms.

Reaction score
Are you pinging the same server as the devices? the closer you are to the server, the lower your pick with be. That reading won't have jack to do with the gaming as they are not going to be in the same physical location. You download and upload speeds will vary too because of the equipment they are using.

Reaction score
When I do a speedtest on my PC the ping is 40 - 47 ms but when i do it on my other devices the ping comes out in a 6 or 7 ms, therefore I have a slow response when playing Fornite or other games, does anybody knows if it is a hardware or software problem? I am using Windows 10 v 20H2
Your question is a bit ambiguous. Speedtest does not ping your router- it pings the server that is hosting speedtest. Are you comparing the speedtest ping with local pings?

Reaction score
Are you using McAfee that came with the PC and is it the full internet protection or just AV?

Reaction score
Are you using McAfee that came with the PC and is it the full internet protection or just AV?

Reaction score
Suggestion #1 - When you ping from the PC using the Ethernet cable please assure that the WiFi in the PC is turned OFF (or removed if it's a separate card and maybe it keeps getting reinstalled ?) so the PC is not trying to"decide" between the WiFi and the Ethernet (searching for the "right" one to use) while you are trying to measure just the ping on the Ethernet separately.

Suggestion #2 - Check for some sort of priority setting in the router. e.g. is the Ethernet traffic undergoing a ping slowdown due to some some obscure setting?

Reaction score
What category ethernet cable are you using ? I Just recently sorted a similar issue for a neighbour and replaced her cable with a 5e and sorted her slow internet

Ask a Question