How can I close only 1 tab when I have several open?

Reaction score
How can I close only 1 tab when I have more than one tab open. It brings up a screen that ask if I want to close all tabs or cancel? I only want to close the one. When I do it will close all and take me back to the home screen then I have to open it up again.

Reaction score
For Edge I presume. Select the tab you want to close and you'l see an X in the right side. Click that. It works for me, I just checked it.

Reaction score
1. Right Click on E for edge if on taskbar.
2. Hit Microsoft Edge. New window - Now you have multiple windows open that you can close ones you want and the ones you want to stay open stay open.

On Chrome if you have it on taskbar then right click and select New Window. Same as edge as you close and open as you see need.

Reaction score
For Edge I presume. Select the tab you want to close and you'l see an X in the right side. Click that. It works for me, I just checked it.
No I don't like the new Edge. This happens in my mail or facebook or any number of other pages I have open. When I open a page inside of a page when I close one they all close. and I have to reopen the original page again.

Reaction score
2. Hit Microsoft Edge. New window - Now you have multiple windows open that you can close ones you want and the ones you want to stay open stay open.

On Chrome if you have it on taskbar then right click and select New Window. Same as edge as you close and open as you see need.
This happens when I follow a link from a page that I have open.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open Internet Explorer Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
Open multiple tabs
What ever tab is active (has focus) and you want to close that tab only.....
Hold the Ctrl key (bottom left of your keyboard) and strike the F4 key (top row of your keyboard)
Does that work to close it?

Reaction score
This happens when I follow a link from a page that I have open.
Instead of clicking on link right click then chose open link in new window. Now when you close the link window original window stays open.

Reaction score

You can also (on mine anyway) just select a new (any) browser from the taskbar, with the middle mouse key.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How can I close only 1 tab when I have more than one tab open.
The OP's question concerned "Tabs" and not (I don't believe) multiple browser windows.
Why selecting the tab and clicking the "X" doesn't work...... I have no idea.

Reaction score
The OP's question concerned "Tabs" and not (I don't believe) multiple browser windows.
Why selecting the tab and clicking the "X" doesn't work...... I have no idea.[/QUOTE

I understand that but if it doesn't work then multiple windows is next option.

Reaction score
The OP has never confirmed that he is even using Edge, for all we know he could be using The Green Browser..:)

Reaction score
The OP has never confirmed that he is even using Edge
The OP did confirm it was not Edge they are using but didn't specify what they are using instead.

The original posting makes me think they are confusing the tab X with the browser X. The browser X will close all, while the tab X will only close the one tab.

And then loading tabs inside of tabs sounds more like tab grouping. If tab grouping is used then there may also be a group X, which closes the whole group.

Reaction score
The OP did confirm it was not Edge they are using but didn't specify what they are using instead.

The original posting makes me think they are confusing the tab X with the browser X. The browser X will close all, while the tab X will only close the one tab.

And then loading tabs inside of tabs sounds more like tab grouping. If tab grouping is used then there may also be a group X, which closes the whole group.

"How can I close only 1 tab when I have more than one tab open. It brings up a screen that ask if I want to close all tabs or cancel? I only want to close the one. When I do it will close all and take me back to the home screen then I have to open it up again."

That is The OP, show me where he says what he is using. In post 3, he states he does not like Edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This happens when I follow a link from a page that I have open
Sounds like he may want to set his browser tab options to open in "new tab" instead of new window or something.
IDK.... may he can come back and give us a screenshot of exactly what he is seeing, which may help to clarify.

Reaction score
Gideon, you may know all the answers and not be confused at all about those answers. But until you know which answer to give, you will remain confused. The fact that you didn't interpret the word "no" proves it. I didn't come in to start an argument. I mentioned what I did to bring it to your attention, plain and simple.

Back to the topic:
Single tab closure is simple. Click the X in the tab, not the browser X or group X. I've yet to see a browser (or any other application for that matter) that didn't work that way, if there was no option to also close from a right click context menu. And if for some reason that fails to work, there is definitely something wrong with said application.

Reaction score
Lannie
Try going back to square one. IF you are using IE, On the top menu, click Tools, the Internet Options.
Under the "General" tab, click "Tabs"
At the bottom click "Restore Defaults"
You will need to restart the computer to see if it is effective.

Ask a Question