How can I hide or stop an update

Reaction score
I am having to use a windwos 8.1 AMD graphics driver because the AMD HD6320 series graphics still has no updated driver from AMD to support windows 10. The video freezes and goes green with the HD6320 driver. The win 8.1 driver works great except windows 10 keep updating and reinstalling the standard driver for the HD6320. I haven't found a way to hide an update in windows 10 like I could in windows 7. Is there a way to do this?

Reaction score
Yeah I downloaded the troubleshooter today, sense I already reinstalled the win8.1 driver that works I'll have to wait for win10 to "update" the graphics driver back to the HD6320 again and then use the troubleshooter to hide that update when it happens.

Reaction score
I've had to do this with mine. I used the User Group Policy fix to stop automatic updates, and set it to just tell me when updates are available (only works with the pro version). Then I can hide whichever update I want before downloading and installing it. You'll have to google how to do this. Some here may not appreciate me giving out that info, even though it's readily available.

Reaction score
This works well in the W10 pro.
{ Note if you have W10 home edition go to method 2
*********************************************************************************************************************
NOTE: Windows 10 Home edition doesn't contain Group Policy Editor. If you are using Home edition, check out METHOD 2. Other edition users can follow METHOD 1.

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, look for "Configure Automatic Updates" option.

Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.

Now select any of the given options according to your requirements:

• 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
  • 3 - Auto download and notify for install
  • 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • 5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
Allow_Windows_Update_Settings_Customization.png

PS: Select the last option "5 - Allow local admin to choose setting" to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

That's it. Apply changes and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

NOTE for Windows 10 Users:

After applying changes in Group Policy Editor, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Further Read: Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate

4. Create another new key under WindowsUpdate key and set its name as AU

So the final key path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

5. Now select AU key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD AUOptions and set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

• 2 (To notify for download and notify for install)
  • 3 (To auto download and notify for install)
  • 4 (To auto download and schedule the install)
  • 5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)
Remove_Restrictions_Windows_Update_Settings.png

PS: Set the value of AUOptions to 5 to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

6. Close Registry Editor and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

After applying changes in Registry Editor, restart your computer. After reboot, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Reaction score
It does work well. Now I wish there was a way to pick and choose which updates you want to download.

Reaction score
This works well in the W10 pro.
{ Note if you have W10 home edition go to method 2
*********************************************************************************************************************
NOTE: Windows 10 Home edition doesn't contain Group Policy Editor. If you are using Home edition, check out METHOD 2. Other edition users can follow METHOD 1.

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, look for "Configure Automatic Updates" option.

Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.

Now select any of the given options according to your requirements:

• 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
  • 3 - Auto download and notify for install
  • 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • 5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
Allow_Windows_Update_Settings_Customization.png

PS: Select the last option "5 - Allow local admin to choose setting" to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

That's it. Apply changes and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

After applying changes in Group Policy Editor, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Further Read: Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate

4. Create another new key under WindowsUpdate key and set its name as AU

So the final key path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

5. Now select AU key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD AUOptions and set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

• 2 (To notify for download and notify for install)
  • 3 (To auto download and notify for install)
  • 4 (To auto download and schedule the install)
  • 5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)
Remove_Restrictions_Windows_Update_Settings.png

PS: Set the value of AUOptions to 5 to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

6. Close Registry Editor and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

After applying changes in Registry Editor, restart your computer. After reboot, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.
I have win10 home so I did Method 2 above. Followed instructions closely. I don't see anything different after reboot and going to settings and update and forcing it to check for updates, then going to advance options it all looks the same as before (no new updates were found when it checked). The only drop down is the one under advance options and it has the same two choices its always had , Automatic Install or Notify to set restart.

Reaction score
When you go to windows update just below where it says check for updates click on Advanced options.
There it should show { some settings are managed by your organization.} well thats what mine now says. ;)

Reaction score
When you go to windows update just below where it says check for updates click on Advanced options.
There it should show { some settings are managed by your organization.} well thats what mine now says. ;)
this is a personal computer (no organization) and there is nothing new not under windows update or windows update advance options. Oh Well.

Reaction score
Hmm perhaps that message { some settings are managed by your organization.} only shows in W10 Pro
Mine is a personal PC but i am running W10 Pro

Ask a Question