Hide Edge Button in IE11

Hide Edge Button in IE11

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble submitted a new article:

Hide New Edge Button - IE 11 in the new Creator's Edition upgrade has a new "Edge" button. Here's how to hide it.

Open the local Group Policy Editor.
Windows logo keyboard key + R and type
gpedit.msc
hit enter or click OK
In the left navigation pane, navigate to
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components/Internet Explorer\Internet Settings\Advanced Settings\Browsing\
In the right data pane locate
"Hide the button (next to the New Tab button) that opens Microsoft Edge
Double click it and change it from "Not configured" to "Enabled"
Reboot.
To undo simply switch it back to "Not...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Interesting revelation; but applying the second option:

If you are running the home version and do not have the Group Policy Editor you can use the Registry Editor:

Windows logo keyboard key + R and type:
regedit

Hit enter or click OK

In the left Navigation pane, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

In the right data pane change the value of "HideNewEdgeButton" from 0 (zero) to 1 (one).

If that particular data value is not present you will have to create a New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it HideNewEdgeButton with a data value of 1 (one).

you cannot find Internet Explorer\Main under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft.

It rather be found here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.

Question is: Does one have to create Internet Explorer\Main under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft
or simply create a New-> DWORD (32-bit) and name it HideNewEdgeButton with a ata value of 1 (one)?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does one have to create Internet Explorer\Main
Yep.... For the Home Version you will need to create the "Internet Explorer" subkey under the Microsoft Key and then you will need to create the "Main" subkey under the "Internet Explorer" subkey and then add the 32 bit Dword there.

Capture1.PNG

I didn't actually have a "Home" version for a source so I had to install it on an old laptop I had lying around to test. Seems to work fine.
On the "Pro" version, when you perform the action in the Group Policy Editor, it actually creates those subkeys in the registry and the 32bit Dword."HideNewEdgeButton" and sets the value to 1

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Really handy guide, @Trouble - I've referred two people to the article today already!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know that personally, I found it aggravating to have that extra button and I expressed as much, here and on the feedback hub, so I was delighted when I found out how to turn it off and decided to pass the info along.

Ask a Question