New file or appl. hides/open behind existing open window

Reaction score
I have been on Googles and tried EVERYTHING on the Net to solve this problem and I cannot get the new windows to come to the Forefront
Please help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Robed,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you say you have 'tried everything', does that include tweaking the Registry at all?

If you open a command prompt console and type or copy & paste the following two commands what are your results?

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundFlashCount

Press Enter key

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout

Press Enter key

Sample image

sample.png

References:
Note:

Windows 10, Version 1703, Build 15063.250 — Default value for ForegroundFlashCount is 7, not 3 as mentioned in the References.

Reaction score
Hi Robed,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you say you have 'tried everything', does that include tweaking the Registry at all?

If you open a command prompt console and type or copy & paste the following two commands what are your results?

Code:

Press Enter key

Code:

Press Enter key

Sample image

View attachment 5529

References:
Note:

Windows 10, Version 1703, Build 15063.250 — Default value for ForegroundFlashCount is 7, not 3 as mentioned in the References.
Hi Robed,

Welcome to the Forum.

Code:

Press Enter key

Code:

Press Enter key

Sample image

View attachment 5529

References:
Note:

Yes I have
I have changed it to
0, to 3, to 7, to 200000
I have tried every combination there is
on both values
used decimal, hectagonal (spell)
it has been like this since brand new, I am ready to put it back in the car and take it back to the store
Is very annoying

Reaction score
I have not install any of my programs
I wonder if I should do a Windows Repair and reinstall the entire OS
I have Windows 10 pro 64 bit build 1707

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you have Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 or higher then you download a program that scans running programs and logs them to confirm which one takes priority for focus.
  • Download and save wherever you want to
  • Scan with your security software
  • Right-click and select Extract all
  • In window that opens, make sure Show extracted files when complete is checked then click the Extract button
  • Open the WindowFocusLoggerGUI.exe
  • The default time is 5 minutes monitoring which should do for this. Click the Start button in this application, then in 5 minutes you'll get a report of what has focus with most recent items at top of report.
That will hopefully help you work out which program or resource is taking focus priority.

You could then consider, disabling, or uninstalling, then re-installing the program, to check whether this alleviates the issue you are experiencing.

This program is free to use for personal use. It is covered by a copyright though, so no alterations please.

Source of program: http://www.adminscope.com/downloads/window-focus-logger/

The Download choice is at bottom left corner of webpage the URL takes you to:

click.png

Reaction score
If you have Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 or higher then you download a program that scans running programs and logs them to confirm which one takes priority for focus.
  • Download and save wherever you want to
  • Scan with your security software
  • Right-click and select Extract all
  • In window that opens, make sure Show extracted files when complete is checked then click the Extract button
  • Open the WindowFocusLoggerGUI.exe
  • The default time is 5 minutes monitoring which should do for this. Click the Start button in this application, then in 5 minutes you'll get a report of what has focus with most recent items at top of report.
That will hopefully help you work out which program or resource is taking focus priority.

You could then consider, disabling, or uninstalling, then re-installing the program, to check whether this alleviates the issue you are experiencing.

This program is free to use for personal use. It is covered by a copyright though, so no alterations please.

Source of program: http://www.adminscope.com/downloads/window-focus-logger/

The Download choice is at bottom left corner of webpage the URL takes you to:

View attachment 5540
Thank you so much for your interest
I did that
But nothing happen except giving me a list of the open documents
in this case was the folder with the extracted files and Firefox, the page I used to download the program

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you have any extensions installed in Firefox?

Have you considered uninstalling Firefox to see whether the issue disappears or not?

Reaction score
No, but I will
I am ready to toss the machine to the curve
my screen saver doesn't work either
no biggy but it pisses me off

Reaction score
No, but I will
I am ready to toss the machine to the curve
my screen saver doesn't work either
no biggy but it pisses me off
No,
Firefox is not it
I do not have any other programs installed yet
By your name, it looks to me like you know plenty about the Registry
Could you please be so kind to advice me of the setting (#) for the flash and the lock
in Decimal or Hexadecimal
Thanks

Reaction score
right now I copy them from a Windows 7 machine and I have
the flash at 7 Hexadecimal and the lock at 30d40 Hexadecimal

Regedit32

Reaction score
That's correct.

The default settings in Windows 10 are:
  • ForegroundFlashCount
    • Hexadecimal value is 7, or
    • Decimal value is 7
  • ForegroundLockTimeout
    • Hexadecimal value is 30D40, or
    • Decimal value is 200000
That is measured in milliseconds, so 200,000 ms = 200 seconds, or 3 minutes, 20 seconds​

In terms of what may/maynot be affecting your Applications opening in the Foreground, or Background, the thing to note here is the advice being given on many sites appearing in Google Search is inaccurate.

People are claiming you need to set the ForegroundFlashCount to 0 but this is complete nonsense, as this DWORD (32-bit) value simply controls how long an open application's icon will flash on your Taskbar to let you know the SYSTEM has activated a background window.

The ForegroundLockTimeout on the other hand is a DWORD (32-bit) value which tells the SYSTEM how long it can keep a background window in this state before giving it focus (moving the application to the foreground). Theoretically, if you increased the Timeout from 3'20" to say 24 hours or 86400000 milliseconds, you might see a noticeable change in the behavior; but this assumes a third party application or something else within Windows is not the actual cause of the issue.

If you want to try as a test then:
  • In search box type comm then,
  • Right-click on Command Prompt in search results and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts you. click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d "0x5265c00" /f

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key

Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager

Beneath the Processes tab scroll down or Tap W key until you locate Windows Explorer

Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart

Your screen will darken/flash for a moment then return you to Desktop

Done!

To reverse that change, simply use the same command above, but:

instead of /d "0x5265C00" use /d "0x30D40"
i.e.
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ForegroundLockTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d "30D40" /f

Reaction score
I will try this
but before I do I would like to tell you That someone advice me to go on Safemode and see if the same problem persist
I did and when I did it says that No application can be started using the Built in User Account
Log off and login using a administrator account
It is a administrator account
I wonder if I should create a new account with Administrator right and see whet happen
I also can not enter Command Prompt not even as a administrator, a white with a pink border label comes up and ask for a code number
Please forgive my English

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK well feel free to reverse it as instructed to the default settings.

Re: Running in Safe Mode — The idea behind this is to only load the very basic drivers for Windows, and not other third party applications. That way, if an issue stops causing trouble, you can assume a third party application and/or driver is the root cause of the problem.

It is normal to see an alert about the Built in User Account. Just click the alert and continue to Safe Mode Desktop.

Try running a few programs, that do not require internet access, and see whether this Window opening behind another continues or not.

If your programs do require internet access, then when logged in normal mode:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • Type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab
  • Check the box next to Safe boot
  • Check the radio button next to Network
  • Click Apply/OK and restart computer
If you do not require internet access to test then after checking the box next to Safe boot simply confirm the radio button next to Minimal is checked then click Apply/OK then restart computer.

Once you are done testing in Safe mode, to be able to boot back to normal mode, to as above, but on the boot tab make sure you remove the check next to Safe boot then click Apply/OK and restart computer.

If the issue continues while in Safe mode, or Safe mode with Networking, then you may need to consider doing an in-place upgrade of your Windows OS, to see whether installing it over the top of itself (while saving Files and settings if you wish to) will result in the issue going away.

If you want to take that route [ in-place upgrade ], let us know and someone can walk you through the steps, if you need help with that.

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank you, for all the time you have put in typing and sending this lengthy instructions
I went on Safe Mode and the problem still the same, got the black screen but nothing changed
My programs do not require internet access that I know of
I have not load any programs
But I did disconnect from the internet and still same problem
I spoke to the manager in Best Buy, he offered me to reload Windows
He asked me which version of Windows would I like
I said I will get back to him
Right now I have W 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1707
I am an old retired man, all I do is play on the Internet, send e-mails and play with Photoshop
Do I need Windows Pro, or maybe Enterprise ?
When I had Windows Home 8.1 I did not have this problem
What is your advice?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If he is willing to give you Enterprise at no charge I'd take it.

The Professional and Enterprise versions each offer a few extras a Home user will not get, however, if you do not typically play around with Group Policies and other settings then you would probably do just as well using a Windows 10 Home edition.

So far as I am aware the latest version and build rolled out to users who are not on the Insider program, is Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250

Whichever you choose, ask the Store to ensure they install the most recent Cumulative upgrades.

I hope a clean install of your OS will get things working again as expected.

Don't forget to ask the Store to save any files you may have on the computer, and or emails etcetera.

Reaction score
If he is willing to give you Enterprise at no charge I'd take it.

The Professional and Enterprise versions each offer a few extras a Home user will not get, however, if you do not typically play around with Group Policies and other settings then you would probably do just as well using a Windows 10 Home edition.

So far as I am aware the latest version and build rolled out to users who are not on the Insider program, is Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250

Whichever you choose, ask the Store to ensure they install the most recent Cumulative upgrades.

I hope a clean install of your OS will get things working again as expected.

Don't forget to ask the Store to save any files you may have on the computer, and or emails etcetera.
I don't have anything in there yet
and all my stuff I have on a external
What is and you wrote: play around with Group Policies and other settings
Will a Home version let me connect to the other computer at home?
I called him he is offering me Windows 7 Enterprise
Or windows 10 Home and enterprise but 32 bit
mine is 64bit
What do you think

Regedit32

Reaction score
Group Policy Editor comes with Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows 10.

It allows you to set rules that can affect all Users or just selected Users to control what a User can do on the computer, such as install an update, or a new program etcetera.

I would not accept a downgrade to Windows 7 as its life line support is due to end in January 2020.

I'm not sure why he cannot give you a 64-bit Enterprise Windows 10, but it that is not possible, it'd be better to ask him to do a clean install of Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. Often that will resolve bugs.

32-bit is fine, but then you won't be able to take advantage of all the capabilities your 64-bit machine can offer, so I wouldn't recommend accepting a 32-bit version.

Ask a Question