How can I join our homegroup on Windows 7

Reaction score
When I try to join our home group and enter the password I get the message 'Windows can't set up a home group on this computer. The other computer runs Windows 7 and mine runs Windows 10. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I couldn't say for sure what is wrong. But you might start by running Troubleshooting.

Look in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Network and Internet"
and then select "HomeGroup".

Reaction score
When I try to join our home group and enter the password I get the message 'Windows can't set up a home group on this computer. The other computer runs Windows 7 and mine runs Windows 10. Any ideas?

About 2 years ago I tried the Home Group but failed. I could get Win 8.1 to see Win 7 but not the other way around. I asked around and one person said it was normal, and that I needed to have both computers running the same OS to make it work.

I didn't know what to believe and I gave up the idea.

Now that you asked this question, I started to google for an answer.
Here is what I have found.
I have NOT tried it yet, so I cannot vouch for it.......................
http://www.techulator.com/resources...-Windows-10-and-share-files-and-printers.aspx

Scroll down to " How to join a Homegroup from a Windows 10 computer " and start from there.

Please post back the result if you decide to give this method a try.
Thank you.

P.S. I can't try the method because I don't have Win 7 anymore. Both my laptops are running Win 10.

Last edited:

Ask a Question