How can I recover all files on an SD Card (for free)

Reaction score
Hello

Is there any way freeware/open source way to recover all files on a SD card?

BACKGROUND:
I am using an Olympus DS-5000 digital voice recorder, which stores .DS2 audio files.
I got half way through listening to a critical file which was about 1 hour long. Unfortunately I then accidentally recorded over the whole of the second half of the file. I am hoping the Olympus kept a temporary version of the original file.

I mean surely the Olympus voice recorder must be doing some quite clever things in order to over-write PARTS of a digital audio file! And surely temporary files where involved, no?

UPDATE:
I have tried running Kickass Undelete - but (judging by the Last Modified dates) it hasn't found the file I need.

I tried Asoftech Data Recovery - but it isn't free

I am currently running PhotoRec - but although it has recovered several files, it doesn't look promising.
It will also take another 2 hours to run!

J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Generally altering a file then saving is final and a backup of the original isn't saved. If a file needs to be used in the future always best to first save a copy. Playing a sound track part way through then recording over the remainder does screw it up, I've done it using Total Recorder set to record any sound coming through the speakers or headset and not pay attention to where I stopped the playback then start recording again.

Reaction score
Bighorn - But I find it hard to imagine that a small digital voice recorder (my Olympus DS-5000) which is maybe 9 or 10 years old would be able to load an ENTIRE file that is over an hour of audio into RAM in order to edit it and then re-save it as a file with the filename.

I mean surely it will be using temporary files rather than just the device's RAM?

MY RESULTS SO FAR:

- PhotoRec found: 212 files

- Kickass Undelete found: 83 items

- Wondershare Recoverit found: 362 files

- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard found 412 files (including both "Deleted Files" AND "Other Lost Files". UNFORTUNATELY it's free recovery period has expired and they now want £51.96 just for one month!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

j

Ask a Question