SOLVED How can Windows 10 be re-installed from scratch?

Reaction score
Hello again...

We have an ASUS E210, bought in Japan a few months ago. This computer is set up for the domestic market, which means it has a Japanese keyboard, and there is no need for the user to download a language pack to get the interface and functionality in Japanese (in other words, the factory installed software on the windows recovery partition contains the Japanese language pack already).

After unpacking the computer and starting it up, on the first screen we were asked to choose between a setup in Japanese or in English. Since my usual environment is Win7, and Win 10 is new to me, we chose English when setting up the computer for the first time, because that would make it easier for me to learn how Windows 10 "ticks" and to change some settings (such as getting rid of the restrictions imposed by the default "S" mode).

Now we want to re-install and set up Windows from scratch, this time in Japanese (which will be the production environment), but the setup menu no longer offers the language choice and defaults to English. So there must be a flag somewhere (in the BIOS?on the recovery partition? in the registry?) that was set to English the first time we set up the computer and that now causes the language choice to be suppressed.

I'd like to reset that flag so that we again get the language choice when re-installing Windows.

Thanks in advance for related suggestions and leads...!

Reaction score
Hi again.It has become unnecessary to pursue this issue any further because we found an organisational solution (swap computers with another person). Thanks!

Reaction score
A tip for any future need, I use GPARTED [GNU Partition Editor] bootable LiveCD to fully wipe all partitions/data from a drive to give a clean environment prior to a full install of Windows. It gets rid of any coding left behind such as seen with Shareware installs or Trial installs that prevent a new install to get around any licensing requirements. GPARTED runs on a lite version of Linux.

Ask a Question